Pasture Grass

/ Pasture Grass #1  

FL_Cracker

Platinum Member
Palm City, FL & Blue Ridge, GA & Freedom, WY
Tractor
Kubota L5030HST,R4 & Kubota RTV900R Utility Vehicle
I have been working several years now to improve my horse pasture. I have over seeded, fertilized, added lime and more. I'm not there all the time so mowing is sometimes a month apart. I was mowing at 6" to keep the grass long for the horses. I just lowered my finish mower to 4" and it cuts much better. The grass get cut and not twisted. It looks great this way because all the weeds get cut off. Is there any evidence that grass will grow better when cut short, and if so what is the best length. The grass is fescue, orchard & clover.

I also want to spay for weeds this fall and spring. I have been hearing 2-4D a lot and want to be sure the horses can stay on the grass after it's sprayed. Is 2-4D the best product and what are the best times to apply? I'm also told you can apply 2-4D to pond grass without any issues unless your drinking the water. (Horses drink it and will it hurt them?)

If there any grass experts out there I could sure use the help.

Thanks,

Charles

/ Pasture Grass #2  
I have a similar question. I have grass planted and want it to thicken up to prevent more weeds and give a nice sod instead of sparse grass. I have been sticking with the theory that by keeping it short enough to prevent the grass from going to seed, that energy is spent on growing the plant and filling in between clumps. A side benefit is that if I keep the grass below the seed height, say 6 inches, the cat converter on my truck won't start a grass fire as easily. The other theory is that letting it go to seed will create seeds to sprout new growth but that doesn't give me any mowing time.

/ Pasture Grass
I have learned that fescue, orchard and clover are not creeping grasses so if you want more grass you have to plant it.... I have heard that I should add some bermuda grass as it grows good in the heat of the summer, where as the other three grasses don't do well in the heat of the summer. They are cool season grasses...

/ Pasture Grass #4  
Another trick is that red clover and rye are upland, or non-wetland grasses. All the others such as fescue are indicators of wet ground. I plant gobs of perennial ryegrass as a result. Wetland=lost ground.

/ Pasture Grass #5  
FL_Cracker said:
I also want to spay for weeds this fall and spring. I have been hearing 2-4D a lot and want to be sure the horses can stay on the grass after it's sprayed. Is 2-4D the best product and what are the best times to apply? I'm also told you can apply 2-4D to pond grass without any issues unless your drinking the water. (Horses drink it and will it hurt them?)

If there any grass experts out there I could sure use the help.

Thanks,

Charles

I started using 2-4D this year, although a little late. I have heard that you should use it in the spring when the weeds start to actively grow but it can be used year round as long as the plants are actively growing. I don't have the product label in front of me but if I recall correctly the applications should be limited to twice per year and for grasses apply between 2 and 4 pints per acre. Label says to keep pets/children off area for 2 days after application. I don't have any horses yet so didn't pay as much attention to the livestock warnings but I think it said that grazing animals should not be on the grass untill 14 days after application. Right now I am using a tow behind sprayer that covers a 10' wide path. Works pretty well so far, broadleaf weeds start to yellow and curl after about 2-3 days with a complete kill happening in about 1-1.5 weeks. Once I get things under control, I will switch over to spot spraying specifically targeting the problem plants and limiting the overall exposure to the grass/land. You should be able to find a 2-4D manufacturers label to review online.

Speaking for myself, I would not use any chemical on the water particularly if the animals drink from it. Do you have a well? Any water seeping from this pond into the ground water might mean you or your neighbors would be drinking it also.

/ Pasture Grass #6  
Quite some time ago Cowboydoc mentioned that six inches is optimum cutting height for some types of grass. :)

/ Pasture Grass #7  
I have used 2,4-d on our pasture areas several times, I keep the horses and cattle off for a week afterwards as that was what the label recomended for beef and dairy cattle.

I have used it early and late summer, different weeds seem to be growing at different times, I guess kind of like cool and warm season grasses.

It seems to work really well, I have gotten rid of a a lot of the weeds that plagued our pastures when we bought our place.

The previous owner had let the pastures go wild even though he had horses on them, it was a mess. We keep them mowed pretty regularly ( except for this year, I started doing rotational grazing which has really cut down on the need to mow, the lack of rain has done that as well ). By regularly I would say we mowed them every 2 weeks to a month. I think the main thing is keep the weeds clipped so they never get a chance to produce a seed head, if you do that the weeds basically kill themselves trying to produce seeds.

/ Pasture Grass #8  
Which 2-4-D?
There are two 2-4-Ds, I wish they wouldn't have the same name for such a powerful chem. The 2-4-D that anyone can buy at the feed store is around 14% active posions (I forget the actual chemical). The 24D that requires an Applicator's Licsence is around 46% active chem. The price difference is real big, the cheaper way to go is with the 46%.

I have not sprayed any of my land yet because there were soybeans next door (a lot). I was told if I did not have the right conditions I would kill those soybeans and have to buy them. This is true for any broad leaf crop like cotton, soybeans, corn, etc. Apparently the poision will rise with the next morning's mist and may drift in the field next to mine. So that's another reason I'll go to the class.

/ Pasture Grass #9  
Cracker -

First of all let me clarify that I am no expert.

However, you may also want to take a look at Remedy in addition to 2-4-D. I do not spray it around water or grazing animals, but the MFG's data sheet and label should tell you what you need to know there. Dow makes it, and my neighbor who has about 70 years of farming experience recommended it over 2-4-D.

I usually cut my pastures down to about 6 in. but currently have no animals on them. I try to cut every 4-6 weeks and this seems to keep most of the weeds at a minimum (with the exception of poison oak - thus the use for the Remedy). I would be hesitant to cut shorter during the summer due to drought possibilities and also I have heard slightly taller grass will help keep weeds choked out.

I'm sure you have had soil samples taken to determine how your pastures needs, but may need to check these again to see if you are still on target with your PH balance.

Also, read the inst carefully on the herbicides you are considering. Some advise against using on clover.

I have also heard certain types of fescue are not good for horses, but you probably already know this.

/ Pasture Grass #10  
You can use Pasture Pro which has no grazing limitation for horses. It is a 2-4D based product.

Joe