Cable gate - Keeping People out

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #1  

johnnyringo

Tractor
Massey 285
I have land that I recently acquired and I'm interested in putting a cable across the road that I'm going to make. The property has no fence and the only thing that currently keeps people out is the fact that there are no roads on the whole 80 acres and it is surrounded by a very steep ditch on the two sides that are accessible by the main road.

I understand that if someone wants in somewhere bad enough they are going to get in. And I know ATV's are impossible to keep out. But does anyone manufacture a cable or a lock for that matter that can't be cut with bolt cutters? That seems to be the tool of choice for cutting locks and cables. Also where is good source for cable?

My plan was to bury posts about four foot in the ground on both sides of the road and attach the cable to these posts. Any ideas on how to attach the cable to the post to make it hard to get off? Of course I'm thinking about wood posts but would metal be better and have some sort of metal eyelets welded on them? I thought about using wooden posts and threading the cable through the posts like a needle and attaching some sort of eyelet with a bolt through it and grind the nut until its round. Any ideas?

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #2  
I don't know if you have a wooded lot or not, so most of this might be irrelevant..

In this neck of the woods, all a cable across a road means is "There is no one here, please stay out". Those posts will come out fairly easily, just mix 2 idiots, a 4wd & a case of beer :) It also can be a lawsuit when some idiot decapitates himself on it.

What sometimes works better is a driveway that looks maintained until it goes around a corner, and a mailbox with a name on it. Add someone in the neighborhood that "knows them new people put a modular up there, seem like nice folks" and it's almost bulletproof :)

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #3  
In our area we have all sorts of gates on the various camps and they reflect the owners willingness to spend money and/or to the work themselves. The one thing for sure the last rash of break-ins we had on our road none of the gates stopped them. Mine is a simple cattle gate mounted to post with a chain and lock. The guy up the rood has a really heavy duty thick wall tube gate with a hidden lock system. I believe it slowed them down but they still got in. What amazed me was the fact they did this during turkey season and at any point in time one of the camp owners could have driven up the road. I count my lucky stars I did not show up since I normally have a firearm or two in my truck. After thinking about it for a day or two, if I ever do drive up on that I will just beep my horn and write down what type of car or truck they have and get a licenses number and let them be. Nothing I have in our camp is worth taking a life over.

One of my neighbors tells me “a gate keeps honest people honest”. With that said I would spend a few hundred bucks and put in a good solid gate with a chain or cable. Post the property line and never leave anything there you would not want stolen. Enjoy the land and sleep well at night.

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out
Yes the acreage is 100% wooded so other than the roads I plan on building it is not accessible by vehicle.

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #5  
I would just post some big no tresspassing signs and put up a gate with a solar light on the mounting 4x4,not a cable.People see the light at night and assume there is power on the property and maybe someone home even if they can't see the house. Someone could slam into that cable at night and you will be held libel.
Of course a 30 ft guard tower with a mock 50 cal and G.I. dummy in it would probably work as well.

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #6  
I currently have a cable up, but I wrapped mine around two trees rather than using posts. The only drawback is the atver's can push the cable up far enough to get under it, although cagers can not.

I'm planning on putting up a tubular farm gate instead, just as soon as I figure out how to dig thru all the rocks and roots to get my posts deep enough.

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #7  
Kinda a funny story... We just have a cable (an old chunk of telephone pole guy wire) around a tree on one side, and chained to a tree on the other. Most folks respect it and stay out. We have given keys to one or two good neighbors, one of which is regularly on the property since it is his "ancestral hunting grounds". He watches over it for us and he is well known and respected in the local community, so anything that goes on there, he knows about. On several occasions, he has encountered strangers there. I don't know what he tells them, but none have ever come back!

However, our piece is where a number of the now older locals grew up and played, so they are very curious and interested in us and what we are doing with/on the old place. We had "chained ourselves in" one afternoon while working and were thus very surprised to have an old pickup come down the road with several of the neighbor men inside, and their wives riding on lawn chairs in the back! They had streched the cable high enough to drive under. They were quite surprised and a little embarrased to find us there to "catch" them! It probably didn't make them any less embarrassed when my wife made the crack about gates/chains "only keeping honest people honest".

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #8  
One of the first things we did when we bought our land was to put up a 1/4 inch cable across the road. I put in two cheap metal fence posts to hold the cable and put orange flagging on the cable. There was no way to drive around the cable. One person tried to drive their car over the cable. The fence posts bent, the car lost quite a bit of plastic, and they did not get in. Another time a neighbor saw a couple "hunters" in a PU with ATVs stopped at the cable. They wanted in. They wanted in bad. They smoked some cigs. Thought. Pondered. Got in the PU and left. :D

I still had people WALK over the cable but it at least made it harder to get in which stopped the trash from being dumped.

Eventually we put up a cheap tube gate which has worked except for the one ATVer that drove around the gate. Since he was dumb enough to have done this after a snow storm he was easy to track down and have a long cold chat with his mom. Now the brush has grown up and an ATV could not get in that way. Someone could tear down the gate but that will take time and effort.

We had a guy a few years ago who had problems with a group of tresspasser on ATVs. I believe he had talked to them but they kept on driving on his land. He put up a cable. They drove down the road. One guy lost his head. The Sheriff said there was not criminal charge to file. I never heard if there was a civil case. I just happened to be rereading the NC state's Extension service page about land owner liability, trespessors and such. They tell you to put up a well marked cable....

For the cable I was able to get it through the fence posts and crimp it togather. The gate has to 6x6 posts 2-3 feet in the ground that hold up the two 10' gates. There are two 4x4 posts on either side of the 6x6s with a three boards running to each post. The gates came with hinges and it was pretty obvious all someone would have to do it lift the gate off. So I put in two lag bolts just above the hinges to prevent the gates from being taken off.

Later,
Dan

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #9  
I have an old cattle type gate with a chain and lock supported by tall sections of old telephone pole. The gate was most recently cut with a pipe cutter to get the chain out of it. I know I can't keep them out. I try and keep things out of sight from the road, make it looked mowed and maintained, keep any dumped trash picked up, and post it well with no trespassing signs. Don't put up anything so nice that people want to steal it. Nice solar lights, new cattle gates, and even nice long chains have pretty high value in a rural community.

People use cables most often in our area. Half inch is typical and around a tree with a clamp that is welded shut. Otherwise a section of well casing with a hole torched out to thread the cable through and clamp as above works for a post.

Try and anticipate that someone will break in and when they do, don't make it too hard. It is cheaper to replace a padlock than the whole gate and posts.

/ Cable gate - Keeping People out #10  
In our area, we have some good solid gates to keep the locals out with their 4 wheel drive jeeps and pickups. They bring a gas torch setup and cut the gates down. One trick is to pour concrete in the posts. Usually, they just cut the pin that secures the gate to the post that the lock runs through. Scum bags are persistant and many don't have jobs, which gives them nothing to do all day, but figure out how to get through your gate. I've installed good sized rocks around the areas on the road to make it difficult to drive around the gate, they just use a winch and move the rocks or find a spot to drive around the rocks. Even if you catch them, It's a pain to posecute them. After all is said and done, they'll probably be back that same week cutting the gate or lock to get on the property again. Hopefully, your a very patient person and can manage to put up with it. Good Luck...

Howard