Drought in TX

/ Drought in TX #1  

Hootie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Kubota ZD 221, Kubota Grand L 5030 HSTC, Kubota RTV, Polaris 500ATP
The cattle farmers are suffering again this year and are in BAD need of hay. Trucks loaded with hay are going through my town daily heading to the area. I am told that the hay is bringing $70 (and higher) per for a 4X5 round bale. I realize that freight is driving the price but I believe this is robbery. I baled 128 4X5's this past weekend, keeping 50 and have sold the rest for $20/bale. Maybe I look at it wrong, but you ought to help your fellow farmers. I have always thought what goes around comes around.

/ Drought in TX #2  
On my way home from work yesterday, I was passed by a convoy of semi's headed south, loaded with big square bales. You're right in assuming that most of the cost is in hauling.

I can't remember what year, but a few summers back, drought ravaged most of the south and east . Hay was at a premium. The upper midwest was having a fairly good year. Hay was being GIVEN to southern farmers. The farm community sticks together.

What scares me is the fact that where drought hasn't done its damage, the midwest and east, this summer has seen flooding or just constant rain. Hay will be in short supply in most of the country this winter.

If they're running out of useable pasture and no hay already, what will happen in Jan. or Feb.? You can't feed cows snowballs.

/ Drought in TX #3  
Farmwithjunk said:
What scares me is the fact that where drought hasn't done its damage, the midwest and east, this summer has seen flooding or just constant rain. Hay will be in short supply in most of the country this winter.

If they're running out of useable pasture and no hay already, what will happen in Jan. or Feb.? You can't feed cows snowballs.

I think around here, most of the ranchers will sell off their herd if hay is in short supply. That sell-off causes the price of beef to go down too. I don't see a severe shortage of hay in my area yet, but if it stays this dry, there won't be a third cutting this year.

/ Drought in TX #4  
Hootie said:
The cattle farmers are suffering again this year and are in BAD need of hay. Trucks loaded with hay are going through my town daily heading to the area. I am told that the hay is bringing $70 (and higher) per for a 4X5 round bale. I realize that freight is driving the price but I believe this is robbery. I baled 128 4X5's this past weekend, keeping 50 and have sold the rest for $20/bale. Maybe I look at it wrong, but you ought to help your fellow farmers. I have always thought what goes around comes around.

Hootie, As a business man, you should know this. It's all about supply and demand. That and the price of freight. Diesel ain't cheap and a flatbed load of round bales isn't that big a payload.

/ Drought in TX #5  
Farmwithjunk said:

Well in the northeast, anyone that could put up a descent amount of hay had to be a magician :confused: The longest span we had was two dry days and then the heavens opened up :mad: The sheep farmer up the road from me usually has 5000 bales put up allready ! If he got a couple hundred he did good ! All we can hope for is a descent second cut !!! Fingers crossed !

/ Drought in TX #6  
Hootie, Wanting to help those in need is admirable. Just make sure who you sell it to is not going to resell it for 50/bale. Maybe offer some to those who can to come pick it up. Here in my area, I've recorded 10.8" of rain in over a year. It's pretty rough here, but I don't need hay myself.

/ Drought in TX #7  
jinman said:
I think around here, most of the ranchers will sell off their herd if hay is in short supply. That sell-off causes the price of beef to go down too. I don't see a severe shortage of hay in my area yet, but if it stays this dry, there won't be a third cutting this year.

It took a few years of panicing with ups and downs in the cattle market for me to learn, but one mans loss equals anothers gain. (sometimes)

When cattle prices drop, that is the best time to buy. Around here, the hay situation isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. With all the rain, pastures are in better shape than normally expected in August. What's that mean? Time to buy a few cows.

Still and all, I'd rather see ranchers and farmers all over the country have a good year. It doesn't appear that'll be the case though.

/ Drought in TX #8  
scott_vt said:
Well in the northeast, anyone that could put up a descent amount of hay had to be a magician :confused: The longest span we had was two dry days and then the heavens opened up :mad: The sheep farmer up the road from me usually has 5000 bales put up allready ! If he got a couple hundred he did good ! All we can hope for is a descent second cut !!! Fingers crossed !

Almost that bad here, but not quite. We had an early, dry spring. Then it started raining. and raining. and raining. Did I mention we had a lot of rain? 1st cutting was probably a month late. Quality of hay suffered, but at least we HAVE hay. 2nd cutting got washed pretty good, and then it got HOT! REAL hot. 98 now with heat index of 106. Humidity is awful. That doesn't help haying. But at least we have hay.

I've got a whopping 3 cow herd this summer. That makes me worry. I can only imagine what's going through the minds of the guys with hundreds of 'em.

/ Drought in TX #9  
I've got a herd of about 30...hay crop is marginal thus far. If not enough hay, my decision will be easy...just sell cows and reload next year. No way to justify feeding $70 hay this winter.

/ Drought in TX #10  
I have about 1/3 as much hay as it will take to winter our herd. They now have access to our whole 80 acres except for one 12 acre hay meadow that I think(hope) we will grow a second cutting. We got about 3.5" of rain last weekend and it really perked things up, but the bermuda is already heading out. My next prayers are for a moist, mild winter and we'll seed the hay meadows w/ wheat and rye. Right now, if we can get string around it, we are calling it hay. I am so glad most of our herd is longhorn.