generac standby generator

/ generac standby generator #1  

hvac1

Tractor
kubota
I would like to know if anyone owns a generac auto standby generator. If so how do you like it? How loud is it? I'm looking at a 10 kw or 15kw. The 15 will be more than I need but it has more circuits. Any problems with these units? I have read some older post where people have said there junk, but is that indeed true or just opinion? Thank for any help.

/ generac standby generator #2  
While I do not have one, my neighbor does. He likes it. It is quiet, but not silent. It can be heard from some distance, but it is a muffled sound that is not too objectionable.

The biggest issue is fuel consumption. If you live in an area with frequent outages, the cost of NG or propane can be quite high, so be aware. If it is just for the rare emergency, then fuel cost is not a concern.

I have at my house a 10KW diesel genset. Works very well and keeping the house up only burns about 1/2 gal/hr.

paul

/ generac standby generator
I have LP gas so I can relate to the high cost.I have a portable 5 kw generator now that is extremely loud. We don't have a lot of outages but my business is based at my house so any outage is an inconvience. If I am not around my wife isn't going to drag the generator out pull it a 1/2 dozen times to start it, switch everything over and go back to work. I think anything quietier than my portable would be great.

/ generac standby generator #4  
techman said:
I have at my house a 10KW diesel genset. Works very well and keeping the house up only burns about 1/2 gal/hr.

paul

What brand?
Bob

/ generac standby generator #5  
I have a LP fired 15kw Generac that I personally installed last September at my house. It now has about 31 hours on it ( I installed the hour meter, it does not come with it) My longest outage so far was 16 hours last winter, and the unit ran perfectly.

The unit is very quiet for an air cooled generater. The insulated cabinet really does a great job of muffeling the sound.

I really think this is the best deal going for a emergancy backup generator. The closest competitor is almost double in price, and most others do not include the transfer switch.

I purchased mine from http://www.norwall.com/Generac2.htm ,they were great do deal with.

/ generac standby generator #6  
Doc_Bob said:
What brand?
Bob

To be honest, I do not know the brand. It is a Deutz 2 cyl diesel woth a Mecc Alte alternator. It was sold as part of the Y2K frenzy, and later they (yea there were quite a few of them) were sold as surplus. New and only run for factory test. I got it for $ 1900.

paul

Attachments

• Genset.JPG
    Genset.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 570
   / generac standby generator #7  
hvac1 said:
I would like to know if anyone owns a generac auto standby generator. If so how do you like it? How loud is it? I'm looking at a 10 kw or 15kw. The 15 will be more than I need but it has more circuits. Any problems with these units? I have read some older post where people have said there junk, but is that indeed true or just opinion? Thank for any help.

I have the 15kW "portable" generac (450 # dry, close to 600 # with fuel & oil). It is pretty loud, but I think being in a cabinet would quiet it down a bit.

I am happy so far, with no problems. They claim it is designed for 3000 hours of life. About a tenth of that is an entire lifetime of power outages.

I got it at Home Depot on line for about $1800, delivered. Next closest price was ~$2200 plus delivery. Search the internet for a "Home Depot promotion code" and you may get lucky.

/ generac standby generator #8  
generac,

Is certainly not a Honda, Onan/Cummins, type generator, but if it is for emergency power outages. Who cares about the noise?

Have the power and keep the house warm/cool.

for the money Generac seems hard to beat, we have some at work and they work just fine but a bit noisier than the other brands.

steve

/ generac standby generator #9  
ill be putting one in on the property when we build the new barn/apt.

looking at a 10-15K version. Likely an onan unit that i convert to run LP. or just a off the shelf version
seems like you cant beat this with a 10' stick
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10044991&topnav=&whse=&Ne=4000000&N=4000444&Mo=8&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3242&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&hierPath=114*3241*3242*
and for an extra $600 you can get the version with the intergrated 100amp auto transfer switch (ATS)

as for fuel costs if you have frequent outage.... well i suppose thats why you have it now dont you... so that the inconveninece of being out of power for 10's of hours or days is not an issue.

ask many of the people hear in STL that were out of power for 4 days couple of weeks ago how much they were willing to spend to have AC and not having to replace everything in ther refrig/frezer. it would have been well more than the $40 a day it cost to run it or whatever.

/ generac standby generator #10  
Schism,
I just went through that. I looked seriously at getting a 15kW to 20kW Generac but I wanted an 1800 rpm engine. They have only the 3600 rpm engines in those models now. Then I looked at the larger size. 25kW but the gas consumption (lpg) was around 4.9 gals/hr at max output.
I finally found a Cummins/Onan 20kW for a great price on eBay. It's an 1800 rpm engine with 2.9 gals/hr fuel consumption. I contacted the store owner and ordered it directly from him instead of going through eBay, but here is his store link Distributed Energy Company
He had 5 of these 20kW models Onan RS20000 for $8,000 + shipping. They are exactly what I wanted and they are one of the best...top of the line generators, normally listing for around $12,000 to $14,000....but I see they are gone now. He has a whole listing of Generacs...I saw one 16kW I think for $3,600??