Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    YM 1700

Default Re: harbor freight generator

Ive seen alot of disscussion about genarators on the tbn site. It seems to me that to have a house set up on a genarator is very expensive. Im 42 years old and cant ever remember a power outage lasting any longer than about 2 or 3 hours, and very seldom at that. I have a small gen. to power tools and things out doors where i cant get to electricty. In other places does the electricy really go down that much that a genarator is needed ?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX22

For a number of people it is insurance. My sister in Virginia did not have any lengthy outages for two decades, until 2 years ago. Then they were without power for nearly 2 weeks. Now she has a Generac LP backup.

Where we live, occasional blackouts that last a few hours are normal. Then on Christmas week 1 1/2 years ago we lost power in the evening when it was 10 degrees. It lasted through the next day. Sure I could have survived without power, but keeping the house warm and not having anything freeze was a benefit.

I have not had an accident or claim on my insurance in 25 years, but I still carry insurance. And I have paid a whole lot more for insurance than I did for my genset. Given the energy squeeze of the last few years, and the increase in violent storms, having power backup looks a bit better each year.

paul

Tractor
    NH TC45

other places does the electricy really go down that much that a genarator is needed ? yep --- My place is on the end of the power line .. there aren't any other poles past where I connect. Guess who will be the last one back up after a power loss? They concentrate on the areas with the most customers. Makes sense that they should. But in the meantime I want to be able to have running water and hvac -- even if it's only for a few hours.
    Mike

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810HST

We've had two outages that lasted about 8 hours each in three years. One was during mildly cold weather and the other during cold weather. During the second we had our generator (5500/7250 surge) and it was nice to have heat, plumbing and refrigeration. For under a grand including transfer switch, I'll take the security. As a bonus I'm using it weekly to work on my barn that is 150'+ from the closest outlet.

Tractor
    Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.

It may come as a shock to some people, but I'm not a big fan of most items that Harbor Fright sells. However....I do have to admit that the generator shown in the link does look pretty darn nice; especially for the price. Please, please, please, don't make me say that something at HF is actually "nice"....

Maybe there isn't a starter motor included and you have to pull start the generator...
    1982 18" Murray push mower (B&S industrial 8 hp engine!) custom deck, new blade - became unbalanced when one side old blade broke off!
    HF moving dolly - high torque! Dogbone multi-wrench too..wait, it split on first use.
    My trash man is the greatest. No matter how bad the economy gets and how bad stocks drop or how bad home values drop, his business is always picking up.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810HST

Quote Originally Posted by Dargo
    Maybe there isn't a starter motor included and you have to pull start the generator...
    Or maybe a crank start!

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo
    Gordon, if you check you will find that a similar new unit is $18,000 and up. That is too expensive for my pocket. If I purchased this, I would have 100-150 gal of fuel. It would not tie up the tractor with a PTO generator. I could run any welder I needed if required. I can keepthe whole house supplied with power.

Ron
    So 100 gallons of fuel would run it for 40 hours, less than 2 days. Better have another tank stored some where.
    I have never had much faith in Harbor Feright. I have seen post on this site of people stating they have had problems with many items from there. Maybe the generator is different, but I would not bet anything important on it. Just my opinion.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Jimna 254

We also are at the end of the line. There are 2 houses past mine. There are 42 houses on our line and we are always the last to be restored. We have had a couple 23 hr outages in the last 2 years. My dad has cancer and he need power.

I have narrowed it down between 2 units. This one in 24 kw, made in china so my jimna tractor won't get lonely
    http://cgi.ebay.com/20KW-Open-Frame-...QQcmdZViewItem

and this one, also made in china
    http://cgi.ebay.com/20KW-Diesel-Gene...QQcmdZViewItem

Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12