harbor freight generator

/ harbor freight generator #1  

Ronbo

Silver Member
Tractor
Jimna 254
I'm thinking of purchasing one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45381

My power comesi and then I have 100 amp service off of that that goes to my house, My well also has a sub panel off of the main. This requires me to run a generator with amin lines out instead of plugs.

Has anyone seen one of these.

Ron

/ harbor freight generator #2  
Detroit diesel is a very good power plant. I have a larger one at work (250KW) for one of our smaller facilities. The model you posted obtainable through HF is factory reconditioned. I also see it is 3 phase where most houses are single phase. I see no problem with a recond. unit if it comes with some kind of warranty. In the previous post I mentioned I have a Miller Bobcat 250NT (welder/generator) that I run my house with during power failures. I bought it as a factory reconditioned w/ warranty. If that 20KW Detroit diesel is properly taken care of it will probably out last your grandchildren. And I think the price isn't bad either.

/ harbor freight generator #3  
$5 grand for a used generator?? I would pass on that and buy a new one in a smaller size. You can run a lot of stuff with only 5KW. You have no clue what type of maintenance it received in it's previous life. The ad says "factory perfect". I have never heard that phrase before. If it is truly perfect, then you should be able to get a 5-10 year 100% warranty at no extra charge backed by both the mfgr AND Harbor Freight.

/ harbor freight generator #4  
It is listed as "1200 PRM/25KVA/3 phase/4 wire
Output: 120v/208v(220v) single phase, 220v three phase"

You will need to determine if the voltages avaialble from the unit will work for you. The unit will also not be able to deliver full rated power unless all windings are used.

/ harbor freight generator
With the health of my parents, I need to be abletorun my heat pump and well. The power comes into my barn. I have a breaker from there that powers the well. I then have a 100 amp sub panel in th ehouse to distribute power to the house. I have looked at portable generator and they have a 50 amp plug. That iwll not meet my needs. I need to be able connect a transfer switch to the main in between the meter and the 200 amp panel in the barn. This would also enable me to power everything in the barn, house, the septic and the well. A generator the has a 50 amp plug just will not meet the need. A single phase, 3 phase will fit the bill.

Ron

/ harbor freight generator
Gordon, if you check you will find that a similar new unit is $18,000 and up. That is too expensive for my pocket. If I purchased this, I would have 100-150 gal of fuel. It would not tie up the tractor with a PTO generator. I could run any welder I needed if required. I can keepthe whole house supplied with power.

Ron

/ harbor freight generator #7  
Sounds like you're setup now like I will be in a few years. My power goes from the pole to the barn - and the well is powered from there ---- then I plan on a subpanel to the house from the barn. I am hoping though to move the well power to the house and connect a generator so that it will run the well, hvac, and a couple more circuits in the house only. Don't have a need to have power in the barn during outages. BUT - I want to use one of those LP generacs with the auto switch.

/ harbor freight generator #8  
I must have mis-judged your intent. I am used to the Florida way of thinking about generators where you typically expect to use them for 3-12 hours at a time at most unless you have a major storm where they can run 2-7 days. When you run a generator 3-12 hours, $5k for a used unit seems very steep. I had all the essential things in my house running for 7 days last year except the A/C with only a 5500 watt unit. I had TV, DTV, refrig, computers, lights, microwave, hot water, etc. A 10-15KW unit would run all that plus full time AC. But, I spent less than $600 for a brand new 5500 watt unit. I would never consider setting up a system to 100% replace the power company. I view generators as a way to maintain essentials only.

/ harbor freight generator #9  
Ronbo said:

I think one of these http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=07132510000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes would be a lot better deal.

It comes with the transfer switch included, is pre-set up to take over automatically when power goes out, and is intended for exactly what you want to do. Plus it runs on LP gas, which stores a lot better than either gasoline or diesel.

If you really think you need that Harbor Freight one, talk to an electrician and get a "not to exceed" bid on installation. I bet it would be in the $2-4K range to get it hooked up. It does not come with the transfer switch, nor the automatic switchover.

Think about the fact that the Harbor Freight generator is an industrial model and is intended to have industrial operators at least nearby, if not operating it. Also, I will bet anything that the "factory" which reconditioned it is not the Detriot Diesel factory, and is not even the factory which originally built it. It is a garage shop somewhere in asia.

If your parents' health is an issue, you want new, automatic and easy to use.

P.S. The link is to one I found while looking for a portable generator this afternoon, there may be better models and prices available, I did no searching for it.

/ harbor freight generator #10  
Automatic Transfer Switches can run several thousand dollars once you get above 100 amp.

The two best features of LP units are: LP can be stored for a very long time and most LP units can be adjusted to run on natural gas and vice versa.

The downside of LP and Natural Gas units are they are generally derated 20% from an equivalent diesel unit and you can't go to the local filling station to fill-up a couple of 5 gallon containers to bring home in a pinch.

Many Rest Homes and Continuing Care homes in my area use air-cooled, bottle gas units because they are very low maintenance compared to a diesel units.