Foundation over a ground stump?

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #1  

ecard

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
I have cleared land for a small barn for tractor and attachments. I amplanning to borrow my dad-in-law's stump grinder for free/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif !. Assuming I can ground the stumps 6" below grade, can I put a stone base and pour concrete? Or should I opt for the backhoe rental and dig the stumps? My fear is that the stumps will rot and cause a foundation problem.
The stumps range from 5" to 12" and I have about a dozen to remove. (Hardwoods - no pines)

Eric

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #2  
Eric,

Get a backhoe and remove them!!

A couple of reasons. One, they well eventually rot and could possible weaken your foundation. Two, wood may attract termites and Lord only knows what else. Another possibility is depending on the kind of tree, like a locust or sumac, more trees could sprout and well, just cause you more aggrevation than necessary.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Terry

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #3  
They will rot away eventually leaving a cavity under the floor. I'd dig them out and fill in the holes. I'd also rent a plate compactor and compact it every 4 inches of fill.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #4  
I deffinitely recomend that you remove the ground stumps from under the slab. They will rot and leave the floor unsupported in addition to attracting termites or ants. Concrete is designed for compression loads. Even with 4" of concrete it can break easily if unsupported. Fill the holes from the stumps, water and compact everything before you lay the rock base. It is a good idea to spread a little Diazanine crystal bug killer before adding the rock or a vapor barrier. You should consider a plastic vapor barrier or "admix" in the concrete to keep any significant moisture from coming up through the slab and rusting equipment. The plastic vapor barrier is pretty cheap. The waterproofing "admix" is pretty expensive at ~$18 per yard. The "admix" does NOT make the concrete "water vapor proof".

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #5  
ecard
I'd also remove the stumps. Small project now versus possible big problems in the future. Is that stump grinder you mention one that hooks to the 3ph?
regards
Mutt

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #6  
I remove the stump
If the stump rots and leaves a hole than water could settle in and freeze,and frozen water under a cememnt floor not good./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Foundation over a ground stump?
Thanks for the replies - it looks unanimous - dig'em out. I guess I was looking for the easy route. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks for the info - wish I had a backhoe for my TC33D - maybe Santa will bring me one!!!

Eric

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #8  
Eric,

<font color=blue>I guess I was looking for the easy route.</font color=blue>

Never works that way for me. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkV

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #9  
Seems to me in the longer view of things, taking the stumps out IS the easy way out!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Richard

/ Foundation over a ground stump? #10  
Do it right the first time or do it, do it, do it again.