Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #1  

450EXC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
This roof is almost flat. I started looking at rubber but that might be a little tough with the contact cement adhesive. I found the 3' rolls of peel and stick modified bitumos that looks pretty easy. Then I caved in and talked to the guys at....oh no.. home depot. Come to find out they have metal roofing that is rated for low pitch. I think metal would be much better for the snow up here in the northeast.

Anyone have any expierence with low pitch or flat roofs ?

Thanks in advance, Larry

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #2  
They leak and hold lots of leaves and your snow will stay right where it lands, not a good idea. Think about this, it snows 60 inches and you have 60 inches on your roof?
Not for me. I lived in Maine for over 30 years and snow is heavy
Jim

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #3  
I have a metal roof from Home Depot - It is not as flat as yours but I can tell you that my roof is clear of snow much faster than any of my neighbors house with shingles. I can also tell you that you do not want to be on the roof when it has even just a frost on it, you will fall on you behind - It is slick! I have a fairly flat porch roof as you can see in the picture. It is corigated. Now that I have a metal roof I will not have any other. We get some strong winds around here and I see shingles lift and remove all the time on other houses.

I have had the roof for three winters and have not had a problem with leaking. I bought special screws with good neopreme washers and forced myself to use the clutch on my drill so I did not over tighten and squish the washer out.

Attachments

• 100_1210.JPG
    100_1210.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 403
   / Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #4  
Larry one other option would be low pitch shingles whith ice shield, this would be cheaper to install then metal roof...cag

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #5  
Being in the snowbelt with a low roof like that would scare me. I would rip the roof off and replace the entire roof with a much steeper pitch. One of my neighbors has a flat roof. They spend a lot of time shoveling it in the winter.

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #6  
I'm in agreement with Jim. If it's an option take it up to a 4/12 or even a 5/12 pitch, the latter is what we have.

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #7  
If money not a problem, eck go fo it...cag

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #8  
We had a house with a flat roof addition- and lived in very snowy area. The only problem we had was a failure where the addition met the pitched roof. Ended up having that section of roofing replaced by a flat roof company. It was some type of rubberized membrane. Yes, I had to remove the snow about once a winter- but used a snow scoop which was very neat. If you are going to stay with a flat roof, look into some companies that do them alot. Yes, it's going to cost, but the alternative isn't cheap.....

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #9  
I have a flat roof over an addition. Unfortunately, the pitch can not be raised without covering up windows. The previous owners had a hot tar roof, it leaked a few years after we bought the place. I put on another hot tar roof. Leaked after less than 10 years. I replaced it with a rubber roof. It's the best thing I ever did. Yep, I have to shovel it every now and then, but I use a plastic shovel and am very careful about the angle I hold the blade at. Fortunately, I can push most of the snow off, no lifting necessary. Ironic that I use the tractor to plow several driveways and have to shovel my roof.

The front porch roof is a little steeper. I covered the whole roof with ice and water membrane and shingled over that. I get to shovel this roof too. Did I mention the main roof? The roof rafters in our 100 year old house are not the best. I occassionally shovel this roof with a roof shovel. I don't like winter.

Back to your almost flat roof. Install a rubber roof on it.

/ Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch #10  
MikePA said:
Back to your almost flat roof. Install a rubber roof on it.

Good advice. Shingles and metal are not preferred for that application IMO.