Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30

Default Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch

This roof is almost flat. I started looking at rubber but that might be a little tough with the contact cement adhesive. I found the 3' rolls of peel and stick modified bitumos that looks pretty easy. Then I caved in and talked to the guys at....oh no.. home depot. Come to find out they have metal roofing that is rated for low pitch. I think metal would be much better for the snow up here in the northeast.

Anyone have any expierence with low pitch or flat roofs ?

Thanks in advance, Larry

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Default Re: Help - need new roof, 2:12 pitch

They leak and hold lots of leaves and your snow will stay right where it lands, not a good idea. Think about this, it snows 60 inches and you have 60 inches on your roof?
    Not for me. I lived in Maine for over 30 years and snow is heavy
    Jim
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Tractor
    Montana 3040

I have a metal roof from Home Depot - It is not as flat as yours but I can tell you that my roof is clear of snow much faster than any of my neighbors house with shingles. I can also tell you that you do not want to be on the roof when it has even just a frost on it, you will fall on you behind - It is slick! I have a fairly flat porch roof as you can see in the picture. It is corigated. Now that I have a metal roof I will not have any other. We get some strong winds around here and I see shingles lift and remove all the time on other houses.

I have had the roof for three winters and have not had a problem with leaking. I bought special screws with good neopreme washers and forced myself to use the clutch on my drill so I did not over tighten and squish the washer out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Montana 3040

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Grizzly 660 Kioti DK45SE Cab

Larry one other option would be low pitch shingles whith ice shield, this would be cheaper to install then metal roof...cag

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti NX4510HST

Being in the snowbelt with a low roof like that would scare me. I would rip the roof off and replace the entire roof with a much steeper pitch. One of my neighbors has a flat roof. They spend a lot of time shoveling it in the winter.
    Kioti NX4510, FEL, JD MX6 brush hog, Landpride RFD2584 mower, Box Blade, Scaper Blade, York Rake, Snowblower, Rototiller, Stump grinder, Wood Chipper and a Post Hole Digger. in need of a backhoe.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

I'm in agreement with Jim. If it's an option take it up to a 4/12 or even a 5/12 pitch, the latter is what we have.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Grizzly 660 Kioti DK45SE Cab

If money not a problem, eck go fo it...cag

Gold Member
    Tractor
    KUBOTA L175

We had a house with a flat roof addition- and lived in very snowy area. The only problem we had was a failure where the addition met the pitched roof. Ended up having that section of roofing replaced by a flat roof company. It was some type of rubberized membrane. Yes, I had to remove the snow about once a winter- but used a snow scoop which was very neat. If you are going to stay with a flat roof, look into some companies that do them alot. Yes, it's going to cost, but the alternative isn't cheap.....

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    NH TC25D

I have a flat roof over an addition. Unfortunately, the pitch can not be raised without covering up windows. The previous owners had a hot tar roof, it leaked a few years after we bought the place. I put on another hot tar roof. Leaked after less than 10 years. I replaced it with a rubber roof. It's the best thing I ever did. Yep, I have to shovel it every now and then, but I use a plastic shovel and am very careful about the angle I hold the blade at. Fortunately, I can push most of the snow off, no lifting necessary. Ironic that I use the tractor to plow several driveways and have to shovel my roof.

The front porch roof is a little steeper. I covered the whole roof with ice and water membrane and shingled over that. I get to shovel this roof too. Did I mention the main roof? The roof rafters in our 100 year old house are not the best. I occassionally shovel this roof with a roof shovel. I don't like winter.

Back to your almost flat roof. Install a rubber roof on it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA
    Back to your almost flat roof. Install a rubber roof on it.
    Good advice. Shingles and metal are not preferred for that application IMO.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast