Wireless Internet connection rocks!!

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #31  
I have recently gone to wireless internet and love it. $199 basic install and ~$50 a month. I did have to put up a 70' tower to get above my oak trees. The tower cost me $1500 but it will be worth it. The costs will eventually be a wash by the time I can stop my dial up service and by going to VoIP drop at least one of our 3 phone lines.

I have been managing vendor space rentals for the Houston Kennel Club for their big show for the last 11 years but I think this will be the last year and then I can drop another phone line.

I have been getting consistently 538 kbps download speed and 139 kbps upload and a QOS for VoIP of better than 90%. Could pay for higher speeds but this is good enough.

Vernon

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #32  
Our sophisticated college age grandkids are suddenly more interested in visiting now that we have high speed internet. Now they won't be deprived while here!!! That plus my grandson wants to use my metal lathe. :)

Another reason to go high speed where possible.

Vernon

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #33  
Vernon,

Please keep us updated on how it's working out for you. My satelitte connection is very dependable. I know that if its about to rain, it will stop working. It's almost better then the local forecast!!!!!

Have you had any weather issues?

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #34  
I have wireless intenet at the cottage from Xplornet. They use a 2.4Ghz motorola canopy system. Other systems or frequencies may perform different but driving rain and snow have no effect on my setup. Speed and jitter are stable regardless of the weather. I have great line of site over a 14 km distance to the tower. Just one tree on an island .6 km away. More trees would be an issue I'm told, especially when there is water on the leaves. Over winter I put the dish inside and point it at the window. Works great there too. I use an IP phone and the only time I have any trouble is when the microwave is on, but I suspect that it is the 20 year old microwave has issues......

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #35  
Eddie
So far it has been great. :) The only outage has been a brief one when they had server problems and most of the outage was very late night. We have not had any major weather since it went up but the few rains we have had did not affect it that I could tell.

With your pines you might have problems getting a clear line of sight.

Vernon

Last edited: