Wireless Internet connection rocks!!

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Finally, after many years of suffering with a dial-up connection at home, I finally splurged.

Like many others, I didn't have many options. Too rural for cable, too far away for DSL. My options were limited to satellite of wireless. I took the advice of the knowledgeable folks here on TBN and avoided the satellite, unless it became an absolute last resort. I finally found a wireless provider that had recently put up a tower that gave me access. I was marginal on L-O-S (line of sight) to the tower, but a 5 foot tripod antenna made the difference. I'll probably put up a small tower type antenna at some point (I have free access to a 40 footer) that I can run up the side of the house and anchor to the east roof gable. That way I can mount both the wireless and TV antenna on one antenna mast (that way my house doesn't look like NORAD with a bristling of antennae).

I did a speed check and I downloaded at a blazing (it's all relative) 1.2 to 1.5 mbs. That's a great improvement to our dial up 19.6 - 21.6 kbps. I feel like I'm part of the 21st century now.

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #2  
The speed becomes addicting too!:D

Congrats and enjoy!

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #3  
MORE DETAILS!!!!

I'm one of those miserable souls who's using satellite for my internet connection. I was offline for two hours yesterday when it rained.

Does your wireless system still work in the rain? Cloudy days?

What does it cost and who did you use?

Website????

Thanks and congratulations!!

Eddie

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #4  
You will love the wireless. We have had ours for almost a year now. Cloudy days doesn't effect it. Rain does effect how it works but that depends on how heavy the rain is and how far from the tower. We are about 9 miles from our providers tower so a light rain can effect our signal. Not that we have had that problem much in the last year. :( As soon as the line of sight is back we are back online.

James

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #5  
I live where wireless is not available -- and certainly not anything as fancy as DSL. Our phone lines were put in back in the 1950s, and we don't even have good phone service. Dial-up was worse than useless.

But, I do have reasonable cell phone coverage. My cell phone provider (Cingular) offers their version of "wireless" Internet. I have a card that plugs into my laptop, which I then have networked so that my wife can access the Internet with her computer. Because of where we live, I need an external antenna on it, but it works. I get between 100 and 200 kbps, which is not lightning speed, but it sure beats dialup.

We've found that we really like it when we travel along any of the major Interstates. If my wife is driving, I can be surfin' on TBN!

Knute

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!!
EddieWalker said:
MORE DETAILS!!!!

Website????

Eddie

I haven't had it long enough to see what happens when it rains. My neighbor has had his for a year now and he hasn't expressed any disappointment. I've been told that it isn't affected by the weather as bad as satellite.

I used Partnership Wireless, because they had coverage in our area. I have to admit that I had an extremely difficult time trying to find out who provided wireless coverage in our area. Maybe someone else on TBN can point you to some type of coverage map for all the different providers.

The initial installation charge (including the transmitter/receiver) was $199. They actually own the equipment, so if it breaks, you call them for a replacement. The monthly charge is $49.95 for the basic service with speeds of 384 kbps upload/ 1mbps download.

One thing to mention is that most of the local wireless providers are small companies (I Think Partnership has 2500 subscribers). If you don't have good LOS, they might work a deal with you to put up a small tower and use you as a repeater to get more coverage and customers. It might be something to look into with the RV park. You could provide a WIFI to all your RV park tenants.

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #7  
I am 25 miles south of HOuston. I am on the fringe of the sprint wireless broadband service area. I have between t-1 and t3 speed. usually close to t-3. I pay $29 per month. I am 5 times faster than my dsl at my clinic.

Ron

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #8  
EddieWalker said:
MORE DETAILS!!!!

I'm one of those miserable souls who's using satellite for my internet connection. I was offline for two hours yesterday when it rained.

Website????

Eddie

EddieWalker: Similar type of service here in central california's sierra foothill area. Here's the website with some info. It's a whole lot better and more reliable then satellite.

Sierra Tel Internet - Central California's Internet Provider

/ Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #9  
Last edited:
   / Wireless Internet connection rocks!! #10  
Thanks Bill! I'm on the edge of a provider out of Alvord and another out of Bowie. I may be able to link to either of them like gsganzer did in Denton. I haven't put in satellite yet and this looks like a much better choice.