Killing clover in lawn

/ Killing clover in lawn #11  
I've used Trimec. Have also used Weed-B-Gone, which is inexpensive and suppresses well. It's true the clover fixes nitrogen, but during wet season when I can't cut, the clover takes off too much and needs to be supressed.

/ Killing clover in lawn #12  
One of the three ingredients in Trimec, etc. is Dicamba. This product, along with 2,4-D is pretty good on clover. Trimec 992 has higher concentrations of both.
The best time that I have found to kill broadleaves in grass is right after the first killing frost (4 hours or more of below 28 degrees F). Plants move nutrients into the root zone to survive the winter. When the grass greens up in the spring, spray again.

For Crabgrass, Drive 75DF from BASF or Acclaim Extra from Bayer.

/ Killing clover in lawn #13  
rswyan The yellow stuff in your lawn is probably black medic. it's in the clover family and is difficult to control.

/ Killing clover in lawn
Well, let me throw some new info into the discussion.

We have a "master gardener" program here in Oregon & I suppose the Extension Service runs similar programs in other states. A master gardener told me last week that herbicides actually work better in the fall. I do know that is true in regard to killing blackberries, Scotch broom and other hard to kill perrenniels with Roundup. Roundup really does a job on them in the fall, but as with most herbicides, the label says to use it when the plants are actively growing. The reasoning for using it in the fall is that the nutrients are being translocated down to the roots & they will take the herbicide with them. Does not make sense for annuals. Since clover is a perrenniel, I thought the master gardener might be right.

My herbicide of choice for my lawn is Weedmaster, which is a form of 2,4-D & dicamba. Labeled for bur clover, not white clover, but it is not labeled for blackberries & it works pretty well on them & Scotch broom, too--in the spring.

So we have contradictory info and recommendations. I think I'll give it a try in a couple weeks & I'll report back when I can see results. Don't expect an answer soon as you don't see results on blackberries for at least a couple months.

/ Killing clover in lawn #15  
Pilot - with the spotlight I saw results in days (yellowing) - It was completely gone (bare spots) in 2 weeks.

/ Killing clover in lawn #16  
ToadHill said:
The yellow stuff in your lawn is probably black medic. it's in the clover family and is difficult to control.

Paul,

Yeah - I think you got it. I googled it and from the pics I saw that looks like it. Trimec should be killing it.

I need to do some plumbing in the basement - all our outside faucets are run straight from the pressure tank so the water I've using to mix my spray solutions is hard. I'm going to pipe in another feed with a valve so that I can use softened water instead .... mebbe that will help some.

/ Killing clover in lawn #17  
Really?
Hard water soft water, does it make a difference?

rswyan said:
Paul,

Yeah - I think you got it. I googled it and from the pics I saw that looks like it. Trimec should be killing it.

I need to do some plumbing in the basement - all our outside faucets are run straight from the pressure tank so the water I've using to mix my spray solutions is hard. I'm going to pipe in another feed with a valve so that I can use softened water instead .... mebbe that will help some.

/ Killing clover in lawn #18  
GEB said:
Really? Hard water soft water, does it make a difference?

I've seen some mention of it in the instructions for some of the chemicals I've used - I think the most recent was the pamphlet for Roundup Max, mentioning less effectiveness with extremely hard water. I personally don't know how much of a difference it would make but I do know that when I shower with hard water it leaves a film (soap and minerals) - also the soap will not suds up as much as with soft water.

We've had guests that shower here that have never done so with soft water - they usually complain that they feel slimey after rinsing .... what that actually is, is all the soap coming off (and no mineral scum) ..... they are just used to finishing their showers with a residual soap and mineral coating. :eek:

/ Killing clover in lawn #19  
What's the best time of year to spray clover in grass? I have heard the fall was best; I have found that spring doesn't work, does it really work to spray clover in the fall?

What chemical do you use?
I have found the only chemical that will kill white top clover is [Me-camine-D) But I can not find it offered to the homeowner
this will keep out the clover for two seasons, before needing to be reapplying.

/ Killing clover in lawn #20  
I've had some white blooming clover in my lawn for years but I didn't spray it last year, and so far not this year, so it's really spreading. Got to get after it as soon as I get my right arm out of this sling.