Killing clover in lawn

/ Killing clover in lawn #31  
Being out in the country and having poor soil, I welcome clovers.

/ Killing clover in lawn #32  
If you need to kill clover, you should be using a surfactant with your herbicide. Clover creates a lot of surface tension and it's difficult to get the leaves 'wet'. I use "Hum-AC 820" from Rural King, and a gallon of it has lasted me years for my lawn, garden, and small field use. If you use something like this, you'll find you can use the recommended mix rates of your chemicals and get much better results. I add it every time I mix herbicide, even if its in small 1 gallon batch.

/ Killing clover in lawn #33  
Being out in the country and having poor soil, I welcome clovers.

Us too. Seems like when I was a kid, people wanted a bit of clover in their grass/yards. My wife is creating a flower garden to look pretty, smell good and to attract butterflies and humming birds. It looks really good this year, smells good, and the butterflies, bees, and humming birds are already visiting and she is not even close to being done. :thumbsup: A good sized area is covered in clover with nice flowers and really fit in nicely. Unfortunately we had to mow it back when we had to cut the grass. If that whol area was clover for a ground cover it would be perfect.

Clover is taking over in the rest of the yard because the expensive grass is dying off. Go CLOVER! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Killing clover in lawn #34  
If you need to kill clover, you should be using a surfactant with your herbicide. Clover creates a lot of surface tension and it's difficult to get the leaves 'wet'. I use "Hum-AC 820" from Rural King,
I use a little dishwashing detergent as a surfactant. Lots of stuff folks are recommending don't seem to be available here in Maine. I was visiting a friend in NC and found some strong weed killer at TSC that is not available at the TSC's in Maine. I picked up some and it seems to be helping get rid of the clover and other obnoxious weeds, but not as well as I would like. It takes care of the dandelions with one spraying, but the clover takes at least 2 sprayings within 3 days. The strawberries are taking 3-4 sprayings to even put a dent in them.

/ Killing clover in lawn #35  
Seems like when I was a kid, people wanted a bit of clover in their grass/yards. My wife is creating a flower garden to look pretty, smell good and to attract butterflies and humming birds. It looks really good this year, smells good, and the butterflies, bees, and humming birds are already visiting and she is not even close to being done. :thumbsup:

Same here, we also welcome all of the above. I suppose it might be different for someone with a bee allergy though.

I am EXTREMELY reluctant to use any sort of herbicide or insecticide. Supposedly they're "safe", but what does that mean? A lot of things that are considered "safe" really aren't. Bat and bee populations are on the decline, I'm no tree hugger, but I can't believe all these poisons aren't contributing.

/ Killing clover in lawn #36  
I fight to get rid of glover, dandelions and what looks like miniature strawberry due to their flowers. My wife is deadly allergic to bee stings so we do our best to eliminate the ground flowers to minimize the bee's in the lawn.
I feel for people who are allergic to bee stings. I don't know how anybody could avoid being stung from time to time. :eek:

Clover and bees. Brings back memories of years gone by. As kids running around on the lawn bare footed and stepping on the white clover that the honey bees were working. The pain brought tears to our eyes back then, now I still get teary eyed................laughing about it. :laughing:

/ Killing clover in lawn #37  
Us too. Seems like when I was a kid, people wanted a bit of clover in their grass/yards. My wife is creating a flower garden to look pretty, smell good and to attract butterflies and humming birds. It looks really good this year, smells good, and the butterflies, bees, and humming birds are already visiting and she is not even close to being done. :thumbsup: A good sized area is covered in clover with nice flowers and really fit in nicely. Unfortunately we had to mow it back when we had to cut the grass. If that whol area was clover for a ground cover it would be perfect.

Clover is taking over in the rest of the yard because the expensive grass is dying off. Go CLOVER! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

Clover thrives in nitrogen-poor soil because it doesn't need nitrogen, it can get it from the air. So it naturally enriches your soil, and is also an indicator that your soil is nitrogen-poor. If you must get rid of it, the way is to build up the nitrogen content of your soil using fertilizer. If your soil has nitrogen grass will outcompete the clover.

/ Killing clover in lawn #38  
I feel for people who are allergic to bee stings. I don't know how anybody could avoid being stung from time to time. :eek:

Clover and bees. Brings back memories of years gone by. As kids running around on the lawn bare footed and stepping on the white clover that the honey bees were working. The pain brought tears to our eyes back then, now I still get teary eyed................laughing about it. :laughing:

Yep, I feel sorry for people who are a allergic to bee stings. However, the only time I have been stung by a honey bee is when running to the pool, over flowering clover, and I stepped on a bee. It is the wasps and hornets have stung me for no good reason. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Later,
Dan

/ Killing clover in lawn #39  
Malathion will kill their nest. Soak it well.
Has a pretty good knock down power, as well.
We buy it by the point for the Mrs. hybrid roses and various plants around the house.

/ Killing clover in lawn #40  

==================================

Later,
Dan
=======================

I'm with you on clover. Looks better and smells better than the usual crop of weeds in the yard. In fact, I just planted a nice size patch of ground with whitetail clover. hmmm - wouldn't it be a shame if some of those wild turkeys just happened to show up to munch on that :)