What kind of grass do I have?

/ What kind of grass do I have? #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
OK. This is a silly question. I have a very small area I call yard, the septic field. The rest of my 20 ac are woods. The grass I have is growing in a very shady place. A few years back I bought some seed to fill in several bare/thin places. Good news, those patches look thick and bright green, bad news I don't know what type it was :(

I have asked for shady mix in the past to re-live my experince but no luck. I feel like cutting a 12" x 12" square and taking it to the right place.

Any sugestions? It is lighter green and finer than the rest

/ What kind of grass do I have? #2  
Post some close up pics of it and someone should be able to id it.

ron

/ What kind of grass do I have? #3  
You might try going to a nursery or county extension office and finding an older person, and asking them for "Orchard grass" My grandfather got some that grows under the apple trees and it is always shaded.
I don't know the actual name of the grass. Dad just asked for orchard grass and one of the "Old" guys at the county extension office told him where to get it. I'm sorry I can't ask him what it was. He has passed away.

/ What kind of grass do I have? #4  
You might want to give "creeping red" fescue a try. It is a really good shade tolerant grass for our area. And September is the best time to sow it.

/ What kind of grass do I have? #5  
Piedmont3 said:
You might try going to a nursery or county extension office and finding an older person, and asking them for "Orchard grass" My grandfather got some that grows under the apple trees and it is always shaded.
I don't know the actual name of the grass. Dad just asked for orchard grass and one of the "Old" guys at the county extension office told him where to get it. I'm sorry I can't ask him what it was. He has passed away.

Orchard grass is----ORCHARD GRASS. That's the correct name for it. Very common around here for pasture grass. Makes a good grass hay too.

/ What kind of grass do I have? #6  
FarmWithJunk,
Thanks :) , I couldn't remember what the other name was, but I thought it had to have another name, all I could remember was Orchard Grass. Now at least I know my memory is not totally leaving.

/ What kind of grass do I have?
Is it bright light green, thick and fairly fine blade?

Thanks for the input

/ What kind of grass do I have? #8  
It's going to be almost impossible to identify without a picture. Rye is bright green?

RyeGrass.jpg

Last edited: