Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV?

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
Any of you guys own a truck for farm, general hauling,towing use only and drive a commuter car for daily driving?

Ive got a 1989 chevrolet 2500 I use for towing the atv's on the trailer and for "farm use" gettting supplies, and getting a copule of thousdand lbs rocks from a friend so i can use it for building the driveway.

Reason I am asking is the transmission needs rebuilt and I am considering getting a suburban or extended cab to replace the worn out truck. I am thinking of getting a late model truck and keep it for the next 20 years or so. I only use the truck once or twice a week maybe 75 miles a week.

Are Suburbans good vehicles for hauling stuff without a bed?

Would you rebuild the transmission for $1000 or get a newer truck?
The old truck has other problems such as no A/C and a coolant leak. I figure as little as I drive it though a/c would be nice buts its really a luxury.

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #2  
I would get a used transmission for it
I may have misunderstood you?
You want a daily driver or you want a truck for farm use only?
Jim

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #3  
Goodoleboy, I have multiple farm use registered vehicles and I can tell you farm use on newer vehicles will suck the life right out of them, if used like a farm vehicle towing and pulling heavy stuff over rough terrain, hauling overloaded on the ranch to save a trip etc. I have a 99 F350 V10 that is now exclusive farm use it needs a new tranny, a 93 Isuzu trooper it will soon need a new tranny and a 1983 Jeep with a 327 V8 it has a new tranny. I was commuting 80 miles a day in the F350 until the gas prices got crazy, I bought a 2006 Toyota Matrix almost 40mpg for my daily commuter it ain't fancy but the money it saves in gas it'll be paid for in gas savings alone in 18 months or less, its also my company delivery vehicle and is saving me over $4,000 in insurance a year since its not rated commercial like the truck was.
Steve

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV?
MrJimi said:
I would get a used transmission for it
I may have misunderstood you?
You want a daily driver or you want a truck for farm use only?
Jim

I will use the vehicle for towing and farm use only. I have a car that is a daily driver.

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #5  
It's sure hard to argue against something you already have and it already paid for. How much do you plan to spend on the suburban? I like to figure out what I can afford or plan to spend, then use that amount to consider my options.

I'm not a big fan of buying used auto parts. If it was me, I'd take out the tranmission and bring it to a good rebuild shop. You'd save a bunch on labor and have a brand new tranny that you can rely on for decades.

Because you don't have AC, I'd consider replacing the truck after you put a new tranny in it. You won't get anything for it without a transmission, but with the tranny, you should do ok.

Eddie

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #6  
goodoleboy said:
Any of you guys own a truck for farm, general hauling,towing use only and drive a commuter car for daily driving?

Ive got a 1989 chevrolet 2500 I use for towing the atv's on the trailer and for "farm use" gettting supplies, and getting a copule of thousdand lbs rocks from a friend so i can use it for building the driveway.

Reason I am asking is the transmission needs rebuilt and I am considering getting a suburban or extended cab to replace the worn out truck. I am thinking of getting a late model truck and keep it for the next 20 years or so. I only use the truck once or twice a week maybe 75 miles a week.

Are Suburbans good vehicles for hauling stuff without a bed?

Would you rebuild the transmission for $1000 or get a newer truck?
The old truck has other problems such as no A/C and a coolant leak. I figure as little as I drive it though a/c would be nice buts its really a luxury.

I have a 90 and a 02 suburban. I use the 90 for light hauling but the 02 has been downsized so does not have the same interior room. It is also too plush and fancy for that kind of use but it is a good tow vehicle. You could make a trailer out of your truck for hauling bulky loads. Note - the late 90's suburbans are the largest.

I think I would rebuild the transmission and then decide whether to keep or sell.

Vernon

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #7  
I have a 2000 F-150#7700. got it brand new has been a ranch/mtn rig for 4years now never goes to the big town just mtn and river. so far ive Busted the shackles that hold both leaf springs on,Blown the motor completely..melt down,ball joints,too many shocks now have air bags,as of last month the windows won't roll up, its ok cause its summer still..The next thng may be the tranny but so far so good.Its got 120,000 miles on it and no major dents.I can't stand this truck!!! If i had the choice my ranch rig would be a 1990's single cab cummins, or a 1978 chevy. The F-150 #7700 is paid for and i could never get my money out of it if i sold. so im stuck with it.Good thing is it always starts, very comfortable,has power stearing,very quiet,fit 5 people,shift on fly 4x4.....oh yea that just went out too, 4x4 goes on and off must be a relay.All and all this tuck has been abused maxed out and roughed up hauling heavy loads up and down steep,rocky mtn roads.I wouldn't buy a late model truck for a farm truck unless I was gonna trade it in every few years.

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #8  
I have two tags now hanging on my 1994 ford F150 heavy half-ton... one says "farm use only" and the other says "Navy Retired".

mark

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #9  
I bought a Toyota Matrix, fwd, 1.8 XR Auto. I get 26-28 mpg city or highway with 16k on it. I have an older 1996 Ford Thunderbird sitting under a cover, 4.6L v8 w/ 138k that I get a steady 25 mpg in. The T-Bird cranks along up to 90 with less than 2k on the tach and drives like a dream. The toyota whines along at 3-4k, no acceleration from 40-65 mph and has been back to the dealer 6 times. Looking at cost of registration, insurance, excise taxes and whatnot, I am trading the matrix on a truck because the difference in the gas mileage isn't that great and the toyota is not handy. I can't see how steve in Tx is getting 40 mpg unless it's downhill both ways.
I do have an older 1987 F350 6.9L na 5 speed 2wd Dually diesel farm/yard/work truck with a steel flatbed that I am looking to move if anyone is interested. All the gears are good. Clutch is fine. It does not use or leak oil, 165,000 miles on it. The truck is in central Mass.

/ Who here has a "farm use only" truck or SUV? #10  
I spent $900 on a new clutch and flywheel for my '89 Ford F250. There is no question that I'm gonna keep it, they don't make the 300 inch six any more, and mine has fuel injection.