My Ducks had a Visitor

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #11  
In my younger, wilder days, some friends and I coralled a flock of geese and chased them through the basement of our dorm at college. I can attest that few things move "like Sh** through a goose", especially when they're scared. It looked like a crude oil well in that basement hallway. What a mess!

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #12  
dooleysm said:
Are Canadian Geese rare down there in Texas?

Texas is part of the central flyway. We get a ton of them in the wheat fields in the western part of the state during the migration.

I had a pretty memorable goose hunt on the "Spike Box Ranch" a few years back (owned by the guy who sued Oprah Winfrey about the beef comments). They were pretty easy to hunt using the following steps:
  1. Set up hunting blind at watering hole a few days before, so they get used to it.
  2. geese spend night at the watering hole, but wake up and fly out to the fields at about sun-up.
  3. Climb into blind when geese are out in field
  4. Geese return to watering hole at about 10 am
  5. stare in awe at blackened sky as flight after flight lift off of the fields and fly to your watering hole
  6. when enough geese are at the watering hole and your trigger finger begins to itch uncontrollably, pop up out of the blind and start shooting.
  7. sound of blasting shotguns loosens goose bowels and they begin to "bomb" the attackers.
  8. Your done when you've collected five geese.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #13  
Come to Ohio and you can see those ba**ards year around. They are dirty, mean and will not get out of the way when you are coming. They think they are a match for a 6k pound truck until you get about a foot away. My wife got attacked by one at her work a few months ago, her purse actually come in handy for something. :D

I am all for wildlife but around here they need to start "thinning out the herd".

Scott

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #14  
As others have said. Not much love for Geese up here. They have a hunting season for them. So the rest of the year they are protected. :mad: Many of the beaches and lakes are closed for swimming during the summer. You can guess why.:(
I like the ducks though. In October we go fishing on Lake St Clair. There are floats of ducks that are a mile wide as they do their migration to the south.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #15  
Millions of em fly over my place every year and lots of them nest in ponds and sloughs all around where I live. We don't have any problems with them as we don't have water on our land but in quantity they can certainly be a problem. An yes they know how to get pretty nasty.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #16  
This all reminds me of another goose story. There was a special 'herd thinning' hunt at a park adjacent to our small college campus. We heard all the shooting from our fraternity house one morning. When I went to class later I found a dead goose on our front porch. Glad I wasn't out there when he fell from the sky.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #17  
Eddie we get lots of Canadian Geese here every year.

They really make a mess with their droppings and more than once my dogs have gotten sick as a result. So now we use a propane-injected spud-cannon to keep them moving off the property. We really don't aim at them, but there's something about a 400-MPH spud hitting the water that they definitely don't like. It's also a great way to make mashed potatoes. :rolleyes:

/ My Ducks had a Visitor
He's still here. We think he's decided to stay awhile but don't know for sure. hahaha We really enjoy watching him and he's very tame, which just give the kids a huge thrill. We sit on the dock in the evening while feeding the fish and watch the ducks and goose swim around and chase water spiders. They are better than TV!!!!

As a hunter, I have no problem filling the freezer with as many geese as I can, but really prefer to see them swimming around my pond. If and when it gets to be a problem, I'll thin them out. Either way, it's a win-win situation.

Eddie

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #19  
morningwood said:
Come to Ohio and you can see those ba**ards year around. They are dirty, mean and will not get out of the way when you are coming. They think they are a match for a 6k pound truck until you get about a foot away. My wife got attacked by one at her work a few months ago, her purse actually come in handy for something. :D

I am all for wildlife but around here they need to start "thinning out the herd".

Scott
If you want to see bunches of them just come here where they are thick along the banks of the Ohio River year round.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #20  
Canadian geese mate for life This one is either domesticated or separated from it's mate,or both. A wild Canadian would not be tame in the slightest. In any event it is most surely lost and looking for companionship.