My Ducks had a Visitor

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Instead of four ducks, this morning there was something extra in my pond. Not counting the two plastic decoys, I have five birds and one of them flew to get there!!!

Eddie

Attachments

• September 12 2006 087 (Small).jpg
    September 12 2006 087 (Small).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 455
  • September 12 2006 026 (Small).jpg
    September 12 2006 026 (Small).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 332
  • September 12 2006 104 (Small).jpg
    September 12 2006 104 (Small).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 302
  • September 12 2006 108 (Small).jpg
    September 12 2006 108 (Small).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 305
   / My Ducks had a Visitor #2  
Looks like a canadian goose to me. Seems the poor fellow might be lost. I'm wondering if he/she might be old or sick to be separated from the flock.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #3  
It is a canadian goose, see lots of them up here this time of year. It's banded, think the second picture shows it on one of the legs, so it might have been owned by someone or being tracked by a fish and game department.

Greg

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #4  
EddieWalker said:
Instead of four ducks, this morning there was something extra in my pond. Not counting the two plastic decoys, I have five birds and one of them flew to get there!!!

Eddie

That's pretty cool. Every year we usually have a Canada Goose (more typically a pair) that lands and hangs out with our pair for a few hours or a day at most. They must be one's that are tired or weak and have to break off from the main flock to take a rest for awhile.

Our geese usually won't have anything to do with them, but they stand at opposite sides and "eye" one another.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #5  
Our ducks get visitors too.

A couple of weeks ago I went down to feed them and the fish. As usual, the ducks were on the edge of the pond in their best begging and "you never feed us" stances.

Just as I came around the edge of the tree line, I notices a grey fox that was ready to pounce. One paw up, and tail straight out.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #6  
That quacks me up! That Canada Goose must have dropped in to find some company to go "honky" tonkin with. Watch out; you may go outside and find a party happening :D

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #7  
Are Canadian Geese rare down there in Texas? We've got them all over the place in Indiana, year round. Any neighborhood with any size pond in it will no doubt have a flock of them chasing people and pooping on everything in sight.

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #8  
Banded you say!!

Some bands are worth money you know!! lol Never can have enough beer money. Plus he's gonna crap all over everything

/ My Ducks had a Visitor
I don't know if they are rare or common, but it's been three years that I've had water in that pond and this is the first time I've seen anything wild in it. It's also the first canadian goose that I've seen in Texas. It's a big state, so I'm sure there are lots of other places for them to be, but this one was a total suprise.

I stoped to look for him before coming in for lunch, and he's still there. The ducks go crazy chasing and eating spiders, but the goose doesn't seem to share the ducks passion for them. The goos likes to pull grass shoots our of the shore and eat them.

Eddie

/ My Ducks had a Visitor #10  
Their not uncommon here, but they are right now. The Canadians only come for the winter here and that one sure came early.

I grew up in PA hunting geese in the cornfields. There weren't near as many back then as their are now. Seems like up north in the summer geese are EVERWHERE and like the old expression goes when something happns a lot or is fast, "like Sh** through a goose"