Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Default My Ducks had a Visitor

Instead of four ducks, this morning there was something extra in my pond. Not counting the two plastic decoys, I have five birds and one of them flew to get there!!!

Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    2005 New Holland TC35A

Default Re: My Ducks had a Visitor

Looks like a canadian goose to me. Seems the poor fellow might be lost. I'm wondering if he/she might be old or sick to be separated from the flock.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30

It is a canadian goose, see lots of them up here this time of year. It's banded, think the second picture shows it on one of the legs, so it might have been owned by someone or being tracked by a fish and game department.

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    KL 130 FEL
    Loaded R-4's
    19 chickens 14 buff orpingtons 5 barred rocks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    BX 2200

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker
    Instead of four ducks, this morning there was something extra in my pond. Not counting the two plastic decoys, I have five birds and one of them flew to get there!!!

Eddie

That's pretty cool. Every year we usually have a Canada Goose (more typically a pair) that lands and hangs out with our pair for a few hours or a day at most. They must be one's that are tired or weak and have to break off from the main flock to take a rest for awhile.

Our geese usually won't have anything to do with them, but they stand at opposite sides and "eye" one another.
    I plan to screech to a sideways stop at heavens gate, jump out with a cigar in one hand, a scotch in the other, yelling "WOOHOO!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Tractor
    Rehab of modern wrecks, now ranging from a 20 HP tractor, to a little Cat 320, to a really fun Cat 953 dirt mover.

Our ducks get visitors too.

A couple of weeks ago I went down to feed them and the fish. As usual, the ducks were on the edge of the pond in their best begging and "you never feed us" stances.

Just as I came around the edge of the tree line, I notices a grey fox that was ready to pounce. One paw up, and tail straight out.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

That quacks me up! That Canada Goose must have dropped in to find some company to go "honky" tonkin with. Watch out; you may go outside and find a party happening
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Platinum Member

Are Canadian Geese rare down there in Texas? We've got them all over the place in Indiana, year round. Any neighborhood with any size pond in it will no doubt have a flock of them chasing people and pooping on everything in sight.
    --------------------------------
    shawn

Banded you say!!

Some bands are worth money you know!! lol Never can have enough beer money. Plus he's gonna crap all over everything

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I don't know if they are rare or common, but it's been three years that I've had water in that pond and this is the first time I've seen anything wild in it. It's also the first canadian goose that I've seen in Texas. It's a big state, so I'm sure there are lots of other places for them to be, but this one was a total suprise.

I stoped to look for him before coming in for lunch, and he's still there. The ducks go crazy chasing and eating spiders, but the goose doesn't seem to share the ducks passion for them. The goos likes to pull grass shoots our of the shore and eat them.

Eddie

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC 40 A, AC 5020

Their not uncommon here, but they are right now. The Canadians only come for the winter here and that one sure came early.

I grew up in PA hunting geese in the cornfields. There weren't near as many back then as their are now. Seems like up north in the summer geese are EVERWHERE and like the old expression goes when something happns a lot or is fast, "like Sh** through a goose"
    Where Bob Wills is still the king.
    102 acres, and nothing but work! Wouldn't change it for anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast