Green Diamond retreads, opinions??

/ Green Diamond retreads, opinions?? #1  

RayH

Banned
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Green Diamond Tire
Im thinking of getting a set of these. Im not really asking for opinions on retreads in general, just the concept and function of Green Diamond technology. Is this a gimmick or does it actually work?
Im building up my Wrangler to be a snowplow truck so winter traction is a priority. It wont see more than 7000 miles per year, just plowing and some commuting short distance, not much if any off roading or long trips.
I would probably only save $70-$80 over getting a cheap set of virgin all season tires so I wouldnt really consider the retreads if it werent for the claims of the Green Diamond. They almost sound ideal for my purposes, low annual miles, cheap and superior snow and ice traction.
Any thoughts on this, is it a gimmick or is there something to Green Diamond?

/ Green Diamond retreads, opinions?? #2  
I have never heard of this type of tire. The only drawback I see on their website is that they require you to drive 1500-2000 miles on them before they become effective. Will that be a problem?? If you don't drive a lot, it could take a couple months to get them ready to use.

/ Green Diamond retreads, opinions??
Thats true, I hadnt thought of that. They would be ready for next season though.

/ Green Diamond retreads, opinions?? #4  
I wonder why they are doing caps versus virgin if the concept works as well as it does. Are caps more prevalent in other countries vs the states? I think the concept sounds good. My grandfather still swears that he got some snow tires back in the 50's that had wire(s) coming straight out of the tread. the wire would bend slightly as the tire wore down. "couldn't get stuck with those tires, just didn't want to ever run your hand over them" he says..

/ Green Diamond retreads, opinions?? #5  
I think recaps for the 'green' aspect.

dubba said:
I wonder why they are doing caps versus virgin if the concept works as well as it does. Are caps more prevalent in other countries vs the states? I think the concept sounds good. My grandfather still swears that he got some snow tires back in the 50's that had wire(s) coming straight out of the tread. the wire would bend slightly as the tire wore down. "couldn't get stuck with those tires, just didn't want to ever run your hand over them" he says..

I cant say for sure but caps probably are more prevalant outside the US, although it does seem strange that the major tire companies havent picked up on this. I dont see why a virgin tire couldnt be produced using the same concept.
I'll let you guys know. I think Im gonna go ahead and get a set.High-Tec Retreading
I read a couple threads about Green Diamond on a plow site that I go to every once in a while. The couple of people who run these have nothing but good things to say about them.

Well I ordered and received my Hi tech retreads. I just got them mounted and balanced today. Im pleased to say they balanced out good, I was a little concerned about that.
The tires I got use Goodyear MTR carcasses. Its kind of pot luck what carcass you get when you order them. The MTRs have big sidewall lugs, they needed to grind those off to put the new caps on. Because of this, the tires are ugly (UGLY). They do have a nice all terrain tread pattern though.
I cant say how they perform yet but I have no reason to think they would be any different than any other tire. I wouldnt choose these for a daily driver, basically because they are so ugly, but for my purposes (plow vehicle/spare vehicle) they should work good. Im looking forward to some snow and ice to see if Green Diamond is a gimmick or not. Time will tell.