anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is?

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #1  

anthonyk

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3647
I've got 2 of these in my pond now, for about 2 weeks, and can feed them by hand. Some friends say they're ducks, some say they're geese.
I've got a book on bird identification, and can't find them.
any idea?

thanks,

anthony

Attachments

• Duke the duck 026.jpg
    Duke the duck 026.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 303
   / anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #2  
I think they are sea ducks. When I was in Brownsville, Tx last spring they were hanging around all the canals in town. They waddle when they walk as their feet are formed for swimming more than walking.

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #3  
Curious.

I don't have a clue, but if I shot one while out duck hunting, I'd be scared to eat it.

Eddie

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #4  
That is a Muscovy duck. They are the only "domesticated" duck that is not related to Mallards. Originally from South America, I think. I understand they fly well, sometimes roost in trees and make for excellent table fare. The drakes have a greater part of their head covered with the red caruncles than the hens.

Russ

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is?
RG, thanks.
The male definitely has more of that red crown and more color.
Thought he was a mallard at first because of the green, but I changed my mind.
He does have pretty big claws on his web feet, and can land in trees pretty well.
Very friendly, but if you go outside empty handed, he'll peck at you.

anthony

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #6  
Another odd thing about the Muscovies. Apparently they can and do mate with Mallards and other domestic breeds. The offspring end up with characteristics from each, but are usually, if not always, sterile. Also, Muscovies don't quack like the usual ducks. They make more of a strange hissing sound.

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #7  
They are dirty, aggressive and will live close to humans. They may also be protected by local laws in some areas like in Florida. As long as they stay away from your backyard, you can probably learn to like them.

I have never seen one fly. They seem content to walk around crapping on your patio and driveway 24/7.

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #8  
We have had Muscovy Ducks for years, as many as 200 running around. They tend to stay near the pond except when they are looking for places to lay. We have not had a problem with them being aggressive. We have black and whites, brown and whites and gray and whites. The females weigh much less than the drakes and only have what looks like a little mask of red around their eyes. And boy are they good eating! They can hatch a brood of over 20 with ease, we had one with 22 last year. By the way your picture looks like a female, but could be a young drake.
Bill

/ anybody know what kind of duck/goose this is? #9  
Muscovys eat flies and as such are good to have in a barn with cows, sheep, goats, etc.