worm fence

/ worm fence #1  

woodmills1

Gold Member
Tractor
kioti LK3054
anyone ever build a stacked split rail or worm fence. i have some triangular white oak sawmill slabs that look like split rails. i wan't to try some fencing with them, any ideas or help?

James "woody" Mills

/ worm fence #2  
James,

You probably know this but first remove the bark!! To make the fence last longer you need to place a large stone under each stacking corner. This is primarily to make the fence last longer. You can also use them to even out some of the lower areas. Now if you can, try to use as much locust as possible. It will then last for years. Once you get it to the desired height, you need to put a stabilizer on each side.

I've never built one, but this is what I've observed and read about them.

Terry

/ worm fence #3  
James, I seem to remember there being a demonstration stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway where a few different split rail fence designs were on display. There are also examples in Cades Cove in the Smokies. Seems like there should be at least pictures on the all mighty web somewhere, but about all I could find was at:
http://www.splitrail.com/yourself.html

Chuck

/ worm fence
here is a shot of the test worm fence. My dad and I, in the picture) put this up in under an hour just before dark this afternoon.

James "woody" Mills

Attachments

• 8-94390-worm+dad.jpg
    8-94390-worm+dad.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 226
   / worm fence #5  
How do you end up with sawn triangles for slabs? Are these from sawing for quarter-sawn lumber? Or a by-product of sawing for the barrels (seems I remember you supplying barrel parts). Just curious. I remember splitting white oak 10' logs for some rail fencing I supplied several years ago. Splitting them was 'work'!

/ worm fence
yes they are the first cut off of the quarters so they have a triangle cross section. i could make them slightly larger if i thought there was a market for them.. otherwise they would be slabs. don't need no more slabs.

James "woody" Mills

/ worm fence #7  
Yep, looks like you got the general idea. Looking pretty good!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I see that you have one end with stabilizers (lack of a better term). Does it seem to help at all?? Also, I did not detect any stone under the stacks. I guess for testing purposes they're not needed.

Terry

/ worm fence
i had stones ready and close, but chose to put small chainsawn sections under the bottom rails. after dad and i talked about snow plows we put up the corner poles. no nails, i cut some wedges from leftovers. i can't wait to see what it does as it shrinks. another view.

James "woody" Mills

Attachments

• 8-94507-rail.jpg
    8-94507-rail.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 356
   / worm fence #9  
That's a nice looking fence. Will there be any climbing flowers or even scarlet runners planted by it?

Egon

/ worm fence
in the spring i plan to till on both sides and transplant from the rest of the yard. the previous owners left many established flower beds. just not in places that make for good tractoring. like both sides of the driveway are lined with perrenials. one good snow and whoops there they go. i plan on saving any that survive the winter.

James "woody" Mills