generator auto-idle control?

/ generator auto-idle control? #1  

Dustin

Tractor
Kubota M5700, Cockshutt 30, John Deere L110, Kubota ZD25
How does the auto idle control work? I'll assume if there is no load to the generator it idles down, and when a load is requested, it runs to standard RPM's.

Can anyone explain to me if a lightbulb will kick the generator up, or does it need more power draw? How does idling affect the life of the machine?

I have been looking for a 7KW or 8KW unleaded gas model for under $2,000. Does anyone have any suggestions? What does a more expensive machine get you? Diesel generators are too expensive, but desirable.

I'd appreciate any advice!

/ generator auto-idle control? #2  
Dustin said:
How does the auto idle control work? I'll assume if there is no load to the generator it idles down, and when a load is requested, it runs to standard RPM's.

Interesting.

I must be way out of date. My generator runs at the same RPM's all the time so that there is always 60 cycles. Now, if there is a load placed on it then there is an automatic fuel boost to keep the same RPM's, hence the same 60 cycle output.

Now a generator that idles down to a lower RPM (Less than 60 CPS) when no load may work pretty cool if the technology really works. It would be interesting to see how well a motor connected to it would start when the generator is idleing though.

Do you have any links to this generator?

/ generator auto-idle control? #3  
Well I don't know about all of them but my 4000watt , 6600 surge , generac brand does indeed speed up with just one light bulb hooked up . Would be better with just a fridge though I suppose

/ generator auto-idle control? #4  
The system is quite simple. A sensor looks at the output of the generator to determine if there is any current flowing, which would represent a load. If nothing is plugged in, there will be no current. When a consumer is plugged in, current will flow. Most are able to sense 50-100 mA (6 to 12 watts), which will cause the solenoid to be activated at the card, allowing full governed RPM to be used.

paul

/ generator auto-idle control? #5  
I have heard both versions, can a mig welder be operated from a generator without damage to either unit. I was told the gen. does not produce electricity to the fullest for a few seconds
Thanks
JIm

/ generator auto-idle control?
So, if I have a refrigerator and an oil furnace plugged in to the generator, it would idle unless one or the other decided to turn on, right? How does this affect the electric motors that are requesting power and there isn't power for 2-3 seconds?

/ generator auto-idle control? #7  
In my opinion, idle back is really good on a construction site. Here you usually have one or two loads (saw, drill) which run a small percentage of the time. Also the motors start unloaded giving the generator time to get to speed. Thus the engine spends most of its life at idle. The fuel consumption and wear savings are substantial. With a home you have many loads and it is unlikely that all loads would be off at any time. I also have concerns about refrigerators and freezers starting if the voltage and frequency take time to get to nominal.
The one time at home where the idle back might be good would be running at night when the only things operating would be the refrigator and freezer. Again (and I questions this) are they hurt by the alleged slow start up?

/ generator auto-idle control? #8  
Not sure what size mig welder you are talking about but, it would depend on the amp draw of the welder . the portable gensets probably would not run the mig. Although it is done, generac doesn't recommend that a home a/c unit b connected the air cooled gensets.They say to step up to the liquid models. I would think, that a welder would put the same kind of demands on a genset as an a/c unit

/ generator auto-idle control? #9  
The famous and revolutionary Honda EU200i generator which is super quiet has this idle down feature. It uses an onboard inverter to make 60 Hz rather than an engine spinning at 3600 rpm(60hz) to make the frequency. In my experience the generator does not go to max RPM unless you need full power from the generator. So a small load will barely increase RPm where a biggy will rev it up.

If you intend to use it for big work like welding then you can turn the idle feature off so that it revs up and stays there to give quicker response.

Not certain how a momentary lag in the generator's ability to provide full voltage power might affect a larger appliance like a fridge. The fridge pulls less than 1000 watts, mine says 770 watts, plus the startup surge so it reeally isn't a huge load.

/ generator auto-idle control? #10  
The Honda is an entirely different concept, and probably the best way to go.
You always have 60 Hz and 120 volts. The other idle back vary frequency and voltage.
Bob Ripley