HughesNet

/ HughesNet #11  
Oh, so they have satellite upload now (200-300kbps)? No more phone connection required? Or did I misread?

(My cart is a '99 Yamaha, 4" lift, 20" tires, torque spring)

/ HughesNet #12  
Adron said:
By the time I get rid of the extra phone line and the monthly ISP fee, I figure tha t it costs me about $10/ month for Hughes. Very cheap for the extra speed. Plus it is a complete write off on taxes since DW needs it for work.

does DW use VPN in her work application ? If so DW is out of luck, VPN will not work with any Satellite system I have heard of. Much to my regret.
Ben

/ HughesNet #13  
HomeBrew2 said:
Oh, so they have satellite upload now (200-300kbps)? No more phone connection required? Or did I misread?

(My cart is a '99 Yamaha, 4" lift, 20" tires, torque spring)

That is correct, however that system is much more expensive and has to be installed by a professional by law.
Ben

/ HughesNet #14  
You dont need a phone line at all. Upload and download are transmited and recieved through the dish.

/ HughesNet #15  
I have had it for about 4 years. It works far better than any dial up. It does go down from time to time due to wx. generally it is a very short time. Less than 1 hour. I suggest you go to these sites and look around.
HughesNet Portal

broadband help » Forums » HughesNet Satellite

If your wife is using this for business and does a lot of up and down loading you will probably need one of the business plans. If she uses any programs that require dedicated ports ect you will need to get a static IP. If none of that means anything then you probably do not need it. You should also read the FAP policy in the DSL reports FAQ. You are limited based on your plan how much you can download over a given period of time. If your computers are networked DSL is also the best place to get useful information.

/ HughesNet #16  
I have had it since May. Far faster than dial-up. I did get the small business/commercial version. Up front costs of $1100 or $1200 and $99 per month. I get faster upload and download speeds than their basic packages. The dish I had to get with this package is quite a bit larger than the regular dish.

/ HughesNet #17  
I checked out the HughesNet site, but could not find the answer to a question of mine.......

Do you have to use separate dishes for DirecTV and HughesNet, or can the same one be used for both? I know that my current dish (I only have DirecTV) will not work with HughesNet, but I hope that I won't have to end up with 2 dishes.

Thanks!

/ HughesNet #18  
Check an see if Sprint or Verizon offer broadband services in your area through next generational cell services such as EVDO.

I use a card in my PC and take it everywhere. Speeds ranges from 300-1.2 down, 100-250 up. 59.99 unlimited access, does VPN too.

Verizon calls their service VZaccess manager. See their web site for coverage maps, be sure to look for digital signals.

I have DirectTV but their broadband service has issues with certain VPNs, and their business plan is too pricey.

-Mike Z.

/ HughesNet #19  
woodchuckc said:
Do you have to use separate dishes for DirecTV and HughesNet, or can the same one be used for both? I know that my current dish (I only have DirecTV) will not work with HughesNet, but I hope that I won't have to end up with 2 dishes.

There is a mounting kit that you can purchase to integrate "some" of the DirecTV LNBs onto the HughesNet system. However, I'd recommend separate systems. Getting the dish aligned for Internet and all the TV satellite signals is pretty tough and you'll likely end up with a compromise where neither service is as good as it could be.

Before anyone purchases a satellite Internet system, I strongly encourage you to search your area for wireless ISPs (WISPs). The cell phone companies may also offer service to your area, so check them out too.

If you find that satellite is your only option, then look at both WildBlue and HughesNet to see which offers the better service & price for your location. There are also resellers (aka VARs) that may offer something you like. I had DirecWay/HughesNet for two years through Agristar. The nice thing about VARs is that they usually have english-speaking Americans on their support teams whereas Hughes generally uses people in India to handle calls.

/ HughesNet #20  
NoMo said:
There is a mounting kit that you can purchase to integrate "some" of the DirecTV LNBs onto the HughesNet system. However, I'd recommend separate systems. Getting the dish aligned for Internet and all the TV satellite signals is pretty tough and you'll likely end up with a compromise where neither service is as good as it could be.

Before anyone purchases a satellite Internet system, I strongly encourage you to search your area for wireless ISPs (WISPs). The cell phone companies may also offer service to your area, so check them out too.

If you find that satellite is your only option, then look at both WildBlue and HughesNet to see which offers the better service & price for your location. There are also resellers (aka VARs) that may offer something you like. I had DirecWay/HughesNet for two years through Agristar. The nice thing about VARs is that they usually have english-speaking Americans on their support teams whereas Hughes generally uses people in India to handle calls.

Thanks for the info! I live far enough out in the sticks that I don't even have cell phone service (I can sometimes pick up a strong enough signal to make a call if I drive the 4-wheeler up on the top of the ridge about 1/3 mile from the house). The fastest I can connect via phone line is 26 k on a very good day, and there are so few people on the lines in my area (3 miles from the nearest main road) that the phone company has no interest in improving things.

Thanks for the heads-up on Wildblue and Agristar - I will check them out.