HughesNet

/ HughesNet #1  

Dweeks

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
Does anyone have this? If you do, do you like it? Pros, Cons...... I am contemplating this, as dialup in rural South Carolina, is getting old.

/ HughesNet #2  
I have had it for about a year and its 100 times better than dialup. Its not as fast as dsl or cable but if you mainly use it for just surfing the net its great. If you download or upload huge files it can get a little slow. When we moved to my property this year this was our only way to get high speed internet. Make sure if you get it to watch the installer and make sure they ground the system to an earth ground or you will have problems other than that i love it

/ HughesNet #3  
Had Direcway for about 2 1/2 years before they were taken over by Hughes. We have had very good service. Occasionally when there is HEAVY cloud cover locally or really bad weather over Atlanta (or wherever the uplink is) we may be out for a 1/2 hr or so. Up time is very good. Download time is server dependant as I have been able the get some very good d/l stats, but lots slower from other servers. DW d/l several 2-3Mb files daily. Uploads are limited to 56K, but it is a full 56K, not some fraction thereof. Customer service is primarily from India. But one problem I got a call back from Miami FL. Not to mean there were many problems, just a couple and after that was solved we haven't had to contact CS for close to 2 years now. Latency is a problem for gamers.

Yeah, I'd rather have DSL or cable but, ............

/ HughesNet #4  
Just wondering what the costs involved are ... upfront, monthlys ? Would appreciate any current first-hand info. Thanks.

/ HughesNet #5  
I think i paid around 600-700 for the equipment and the install and the service is 59.99 a month.

/ HughesNet #6  
wickedinhere said:
I think i paid around 600-700 for the equipment and the install and the service is 59.99 a month.

Yeh, the monthly is much less than I thought but still high for me.

Sure like your golf car ... pic of mine attached ... not very pretty but I sure love it :D

Attachments

• DSCN2145a.jpg
    DSCN2145a.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 196
   / HughesNet
They have a promo running for $398 after rebates and then the monthly of $59.99. The monthly would be a wash for me since I would be getting rid of an extra phone line and isp fee per month. I just hate how long it takes to d/l files and surf the net on dialup. I do gaming but I could always keep 1 dialup isp and use the house main phone line for that.

/ HughesNet #8  
I've had HughesNet for about 2 months now and it's GREAT! :) :D
I used to have AOL dial-up as it was about the only service with a local number. (I hated AOL - "Just give me a browser, I don't want all your 'content' " ) But then AOL started offering it's e-mail service free if you have your own ISP and I think they cut back on the number of modems available for dial-up connections because I started having trouble connecting. So that was the "nail in the coffin".

I got the $395 up-front + $59.95/month deal.

Have only had one outage - when there was a huge thunderstorm passing by. But I probably shouldn't have had the computer on then anyway...

I routinely get 300 - 400kbps download speeds and 200 - 300kbps upload speeds.

But note - you will not be able to do on-line gaming or a VPN connection, or some interactive web sites with satellite broadband. The latency (the time it takes for the signal to get from your house to the satellite and then to the ground station and back) is 1/4 second. That may not seem like much but games and VPNs "time out" in less than that.

For normal browsing like TBN, I recommend HughesNet highly.

(Not affiliated - just a satisfied customer).

WVBill

/ HughesNet #9  
I wish they had offered those rebates when i signed up but it was directway when i got it. Thats a nice cart i dont know what i would do without mine, i have an ezgo, 5 inch lift, 22 inch tires and an 8 horse motor.

Last edited:
   / HughesNet #10  
By the time I get rid of the extra phone line and the monthly ISP fee, I figure tha t it costs me about $10/ month for Hughes. Very cheap for the extra speed. Plus it is a complete write off on taxes since DW needs it for work.