Water Pump advice needed.

/ Water Pump advice needed.
I've been stalling on this hoping for a better solution. I've looked at a bunch of fire trucks and think that's a great idea, but just not the right one for me in this situation. I also looked for some used pumps of all types of farming applications and they are more than I'm willing to spend on this. Even the junkiest ones are a couple grand.

I bought this one on ebay. It's paid for and should be here the end of next week. eBay: WATER TRASH PUMP 3" GAS BIG 6.5 hp FREE SHIPPING !!! (item 180040143291 end time Oct-27-06 19:11:41 PDT)

I looked for hoses on ebay and saw plenty of them, but after you add what they want for shipping, Northern Tool was cheaper. Those should be here around the same time as the pump.

When it gets here, I'll update with some pictures and observations.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Water Pump advice needed. #42  
:D Darned Eddie,I was hoping you'd go for one of those big single cylinder perkins type diesels.

I'd like to know how efficient they are and and how they last.:D

And how difficult it is to get one!:D

The pump was delivered this morning by Fed Ex Ground. I'd been watching it's progress, but was still sprised when they arrived. What's cool is as soon as they delivered it, I could see that on there website.

The hoses are coming from Northern Tool and according to the UPS website, they should be here tomorrow. When they get here, I'll put it into operation and see what happens.

The pics are of the pump.

Eddie

Attachments

• Lake Marabou 078 (Small).jpg
    Lake Marabou 078 (Small).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Lake Marabou 081 (Small).jpg
    Lake Marabou 081 (Small).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Lake Marabou 080 (Small).jpg
    Lake Marabou 080 (Small).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 156
   / Water Pump advice needed. #44  
I was going to suggest getting a used rice well pump, and a car engine. Throws about an eight inch stream I see them just east of here with electric, PTO, auto engines etc. For anyone else that might be interested since you have gotten a pump. Looks nice.

/ Water Pump advice needed. #45  
There's lots of input in approaching your situation, I too would like to dabble with a project like this some day. I've also looked at the Honda knock-off engines, and have made contact with buyers of those engines. Their response has been positive. My understanding is that they are made in China, however many Honda engines are made outside of Japan.

Regarding the estimated gallons needed, have you also considered evaporation, soil absorption rates and average rainfall. If not, these variables may have an impact on the long term approach in filling and maintaining the pond.

Keep us posted.

/ Water Pump advice needed. #46  
EddieWalker said:
The pump was delivered this morning by Fed Ex Ground. I'd been watching it's progress, but was still sprised when they arrived. What's cool is as soon as they delivered it, I could see that on there website.

The hoses are coming from Northern Tool and according to the UPS website, they should be here tomorrow. When they get here, I'll put it into operation and see what happens.

The pics are of the pump.

Eddie

Is the pond filled????

I've been updating pics on the lake and the pump in my other thread in the projects section. It's called "Creating a Lake" if you'd like to get all the details.

To sum it up, the pump has been working really well. I took a fuel tank out of a thrashed Blazer that I have for more fuel so it can run 24/7. I didn't buy enough discharge hose at first, but now that's taken care of and I'm getting all of the water to the lake. Based on some very rough tests, I'm getting over 100 gallons per minute from the pump to the lake.

The real question is how long will it take to fill? We have an ongoing discusion on that topic in the other thread that's rather involved and beyond what I can sumerize here. If all goes well, it should be full in a month without rains. If it rains, anything is possible.

The pictures are of the pump, the discharge and the lake as of last week.

Eddie

Attachments

• Lake Marabou 106 (Small).jpg
    Lake Marabou 106 (Small).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Lake Marabou 115 (Small).jpg
    Lake Marabou 115 (Small).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Lake Marabou 114 (Small).jpg
    Lake Marabou 114 (Small).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 163
   / Water Pump advice needed. #48  
What would happen if you damed the creek and deverted the water to your pond and removed the dam when done?

The creek is only half mine. The neighbor who owns the other half could sue me for damages if I did something like that. Of course, he's never there and that part of his land is very remote to the point that I dought he's ever even seen it. He doesn't live there, it's just an investment for him that sits wild.

There are a few beavers and they have a small dam further upstream on my other neighbors land, but it's not very significant.

The area of the lake is in the hundred year flood plane. I couldn't build there, so I thought it was a good spot for a lake. I dug down and built the dam up while creating it. The creek is below the bottom of my lake as it is.

The top of the creeks shoreline would still be about six feet below the top of my dam. It's just not possible.

I did think about running a thousand feet of 2 inch black poly line down the middle of the creek to a point its above the height of my dam. I checked my topo maps and calculated some rough numbers only to realize I'd have to run close to a mile of pipe to get enough elevation for it to go over my dam. Illegal and impossible put a stop to that idea. hahaha

Thanks,
Eddie