Spiders are taking over my barn

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #1  

wickedinhere

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800/LA463
What would be the best way to get rid of black widows and brown recluse spiders in my barn. I have so many black widows its not even funny and they are the biggest ones i have ever seen. The guy who sprays my house sprays the barn also but it doesnt even bother them. I wasnt worried to much about it but its to the point that every time i go in there and get something there is a black widow on whatever i am getting. I have found 2 brown recluse on my tractor and i dont wont to get bitten by either of them. Any ideas?

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #2  
I have the same problem as you except I have scorpions too. I have sprayed the Demon WP or whatever its called. It certainly doesn't seem to have a quick knockdown effect neither does it seem to have a long term effect. So I have resorted to another method along with the Demon.

Here's what I do so far.

Everytime you go to a big box store, buy another can or 2 of the wasp and hornet spray. Keep a can on every shelf and every drinkholder on everything you own. Never let a can be out of arm's reach.

Keep a stick handy too so that if you see a Black Widows web, you can spray the spider to kill it and be sure to use the stick to swab up the web. A black widow's web is not spun in any pattern. They are just spun like a drunkard or something. The web is what I look for. The spray will kill them dead.

Squish the scorpions with your boot or shoe of choice. A friend said he put down boric acid in the walls while his house was being built 3 years ago and says he rarely sees scorpions but they seem to be dying if near the house. I have not tried this as my house is built and I'm not to sure of boric acid and exposure to my kid...

I wish I had a panacea cure all to tell you but I don't. I'll quit typing and hope that other folks might chime in with better ideas.

/ Spiders are taking over my barn
Thanks for the info i have about 4 cans in my pantry i will give it a try.

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #4  
glad I'm in the northeast .

/ Spiders are taking over my barn
I am gonna have to get a pic of the next big one i see. I have only seen small black widows before i moved where i am at now. The big ball part of the big ones are the size of a dime. I was working on my chainsaw last week and i took the engine cover off and one had a nest in there scared me to death. I just want to get them in control before they start getting into the house. One of the big ones had a red stripe on top of her and the hourglass on the under belly.

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #6  
And to think, a couple of years back we almost moved to San Angelo, TX.:mad:

Yes, there is a lot to be said about living in the northeast. Tornados are rare, hurricanes are usually burned out by the time they get here, forest fires are usually under 50 acres, earth quakes seldom register more than 3, it rains most years .................

Actually, about all we get is weather of inconvenience. When was the last time you heard of town being blown away by a blizzard? You might have to shovel the stuff out of your driveway, but your house is still standing.

Sure, we have to heat in the winter (love stoves and firewood), but we don't get our breath taken away when we step out in July. Nor, do we need oven mitts to drive the car.

We have to worry about yellow jackets (about 4 months out of the year), but no poisonous snakes, scorpions, or bad spiders.

'nuff said - I'm sure start a war with this.:p

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #7  
That wasp and hornet spray is good stuff, it's killed every multi-legged critter I've ever soaked in it. I'm also partial to a can of WD-40 and a grill lighter to take care of spiders that it'll reach that aren't on something that'll melt. It may be saddistic, but it works every time. Good luck!

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #8  
Raid foggers in blue can, I don't know if it will work on the insect of your choice but it has killed everything in my shop.
I get dirt dobbers in the summer time building nest everywhere and after I set off 3 cans of foggers I find all species of insects dead and new dead ones for the next few weeks.
I have not found any brown reclues, black widows or scorpions on my place so I don't know the real effect it will have on them but they are still built the same as the others.

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #9  
Try this website, it has a ton of information on insects and ways to handle them.

"www.bugspray.com"

/ Spiders are taking over my barn #10  
Just a small suggestion for removing the spider webbing after killing the spiders I recommend using the Cobweb Winder to coil all the cobwebs into a neat ball. Its simple and easy to get into tight spaces. If you have this device handy the webbing never becomes a problem as its so easily cleaned up. Thank you for the rest of the tips everyone! My battle continues daily trying to keep them at bay. Good luck everyone!