give up country life for city life

/ give up country life for city life #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I was just wondering how many would give up the life in the country to move to the city for the convenience of jobs, shoping, and things to do like go the movies. I've experienced boredom and even the unqualified service people that you get by living the small life. People make a living or try even if they don't have the experience to do service on your home. The city might have a recourse to get people like this. Try suing when you don't have a company to sue

/ give up country life for city life #2  
I think this really depends on how far from the city you are located. I live the country life, but I am only 25 miles from a major city. What's funny is that most of the maintenance people and companies are located in my area. Most of these companies can't afford to set up shop in the city, so they are usually on the edge of the city or in the country too. I feel fortunate to have 20 plus police officers, 5 lineman, welders, plumbers, etc... all within 5 miles of me. When I needed my roof repaired, I called a company 15 miles away, and all the roofers were from my town. It was nice to have talented locals doing the job. I prefer to spend my money in town and call locals whenever possible. Although, I do have lots of talent in my area.

Joe

/ give up country life for city life #3  
OMG!!!

Never. I came from the city and moved to a rural 30 acres 7 years ago. Wild horses could not drag us back there.

Puck

/ give up country life for city life #4  
Ive considered it.
We had a townhouse until about nine years ago we built a house on 2.5 acres about 20 minutes from town. There are times I wish I had 100 acres and there are times I wish I had 1/4 acre. I look back at our time in the townhouse and I remember it was an easy life. We had lots more time for traveling and camping and other things we used to do. It seems harder to find that time now and I miss it. It was alot less expense to live in the townhouse, shopping was closer, work was closer, utilities were less, I didnt have or need nearly as many tools and toys as I have now and there was simply less to take care of. We spent almost every weekend out of the house and in the countryside doing something fun so while we lived in the city, we didnt spend as much time there as you would think.

/ give up country life for city life #5  
mechanic said:
I was just wondering how many would give up the life in the country to move to the city for the convenience of jobs, shoping, and things to do like go the movies. I've experienced boredom and even the unqualified service people that you get by living the small life. People make a living or try even if they don't have the experience to do service on your home. The city might have a recourse to get people like this. Try suing when you don't have a company to sue

I grew up in an EXTREME rural area. After leaving the Army, I spent 4 years in "THE BIG CITY" while attending college, then for 2 more years before getting married and buying a farm. In the 35 years we had the farm, the city grew to meet us. It finally got to be too much. My son wanted the place and I wanted OUT. Out in the country that is. City life is not for me.

We now live on 45 acres just adjoining a small town that is so much like MAYBERRY it's unreal. We have all the advantages of city utilities and services, but without traffic, crime, noise, prices, gunfire, sirens, smog, flying "middle digits", and lack of privacy.

There's every imaginable service available, although they might be a few miles away. We can be at major shopping areas in less than 20 minutes if the need arises. Given the advantages and DIS advantages of each, I wouldn't even CONSIDER raising children in anything but a rural atmosphere.

To me, what some people refer to as "boring country life" is the most excitement I can imagine.

/ give up country life for city life #6  
I grew up in the city (Cleveland Ohio) and I'll never go back. But, I'm only about 30 minutes from Toledo and can go to the city whenever I want. Our utilities are considerably cheaper in the country. The only advantages I could see to living in the city are roads that get plowed in the winter and city water.

/ give up country life for city life #7  
I was stationed in San Fran in the Navy and then spent 2 year in Baltimore. I now live in top of a mountain 10 miles from my hometown, Which only has 4,000 people anyway.
There are alot of extra activities that need to be done while living in the country that you don't have to do in the city or even a town. Plowing a 2.5 mile driveway everytime it snows. Poweroutages are common so a generator is manditory., along with a tractor and all the maintenance that comes with owning tractors. Trash service is non existant. No school bus stop so it is always rise in shine during the school year to take the kids to the bus stop.
a quick store run for milk doesn't happen.
But those are all minor convienences to the alternative and I love every single minute of living up on my mountain. I leave the keys in my car all the time. I don't lock the house doors at night. My kids play in the yard without me worrying someone will harm them. My dogs don't even know what a leash is. and best of all I can pee off my porch naked in the middle of the day if i want to !! not that I have ever done that . ;)

You can have the city, I will take the "hillbilly" life anyday.

/ give up country life for city life #8  
Never, Charleston is 20 miles away and that is just fine for me.

/ give up country life for city life #9  
Two or three times a year I make my way to Boston, MA. less than 100 miles away. When I see the conditions that the city dwellers have to deal with every day the traffic, the noise, the crime, houses one on top of the other, and all that is related to city life I am thankful that I don't have to live like that.

I live on the edge of a 13,000 acre state wilderness park in a small town with a population under 2,000. There is a house across the road from us about 200 yards away and one to the south 800 or so yards away. We are miles away from anyone to the north and east.

It was a quiet safe place to raise 3 boys, no drug or gang influence. They learned to appreciate the balance and beatuy of nature. They have seen deer and wild turkeys in the back yard. We raised pigs, goats, chickens had horses, dogs and cats. When visitors would come from urban areas they would remark how nice it was to be out of the city.

We have been in the "woods" for over 30 years I would have a difficult time trading all this for the city. Sure a trip to the store for milk or bread is 20 minutes but from what I've experienced at "rush hour" in the city it takes 20 minutes to go 2 or 3 miles. I must admit when I've been at some ones house in the city and I have to pee the only option is in the house.

Randy

/ give up country life for city life #10  
I think they are both great. I split between Boston, which I don't find at all as described above, and out in the country, which is pretty much as described above. Except the **** turkeys eat my tomatos.

I'd be hard pressed to give up either one. Of course, I'm talking about real cities - I've lived in a lot of US "cities" like Denver which have all the people and crowds, but no more amenities than any place off in the country. No point in that. But in Boston I never have to walk more than a mnute or 2 to get my bread and milk. And I'm buying the bread at a good bakery, not a foam rubber supermarket loaf.