Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN)

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #1  

Skerby

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40DA
Hi I'll be moving sometime within the next several months and wondered if anyone has some cost saving advice on moving my home contents in a safe and economical way? I have a car I dont trust to drive and may consider selling it locally, or towing it myself ('64 chevelle conv't). A piano that i'll need insured and moved by piano movers. All else may be up for me to move (4bd room 2.5bath contents). Woodworking tools (tbl sw, jointer the heaviest). Also a lawn tractor and a pet (potbelly). Thx for any suggestions!

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #2  
Plenty of movers out there looking for work. You just have to call around and get prices. By the time you rent a pod or u-haul and give every friend you have beer and pizza, it'll be just as expensive to hire professionsl movers. Most quality movers will tackle the piano, but beware and read your contract. Sometimes they only insure you for a certain amount, not replacement value. Get several estimates from well known companies, don't have some fly by nights do your moving, for what you save up front may cost you in the end. Good Luck.

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #3  
Wow that sounds like a big ticket item to tackle by yourself.............

Here's my experience (on a shorter move).

Shippers charge by the pound-mile, so if you move anything yourself, try to do the heavy stuff. I moved my tools, books, and anything heavy from outside myself--saved a chunk. They couldn't believe how light the van was (3brm house).

We moved a piano through the mover. They (foolishly) said they'd do it for any extra $40 (1980 price). They had to move it to our basement in the new home. They lost money on that deal. If we move the piano again, I'll hire a piano company to move it out early, then bring it to the new place..........

If you have a houseful of stuff, I'd really look at your options. If you have to make six trips by U haul, it might be cheaper to hire a commercial van to deliver it for you.

The first move we made was 30 miles, to get closer to my work. I rented a storage unit and loaded my pickup several times to drop stuff at the rental unit prior to going to work. Then, after we moved, I moved the stored stuff to the house.

Hope this helps.
Ron

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #4  
Is this a long distance move or short?

The last long distance move I did years ago in the early 90's I bidded out and I think the two bids I got where around 3,000 dollars. But my memory is real vague on the numbers. I do remember that both companies bid was within 25 cents. Yes cents. Hmmm....

I rented a nice large 30+ foot Isuzu truck from one of the large rental companies. Real NICE truck. Diesel. Very impressed with the cab over manouverability.

The move was roughly 1,000 miles.

Since then I have moved twice under 50 miles both times. I moved quite a bit myself but I hired a company to do the heavy lifting to get most of the stuff big heavy stuff. Both moves, one 10-12 years ago was around $500 for three men and a semi trailer, while the last move a couple years back was about the same price with two men and a large moving truck. The later move took more time due to distance.

Ask around for movers. For $500 its not worth renting a large truck and bugging friends and family for labor.

Later,
Dan

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN)
I see what you guys mean, maybe I'm trying to be cheap where I should be bitting the bullet.. Will call some movers for estimates.. I was hoping to move all the extra stuff (wife calls it junk) out to the new home and leave this home with just enough stuff to make the home interior nicer to prospective buyers.. that made me think i don't want to pay movers for two trips.. thx

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #6  
oh man oh man.

When I moved from Califirnia to Texas, I looked into every option I could think of and it was one horror story after another. I'll just give you the basics that seem to happen on a regular basis with moving companies.

They come to your home, look it over and give you a price. You agree to the price and schedule the day they are to arrive. They will arrive that day, or within a few days of the agreed upon date and load up your stuff. Lots of problems there, but that's to be expected.

Then the truck leaves. This is when your nightmare will begin. A few days later, somebody from the company will tell you there was a mistake made in your price quote. They will tell you that your stuff is either allot heavier than they realized or you have more stuff than agreed upon. You will than get the new price. From what I read, it's usualy $3,000 or more.

You have two choices, agree to pay the new price and get your stuff or fight them and never know where or what happens to you stuff. No body will tell you or know were it is. You are totally out on your own until they get paid.

Start searching the net about moving companies and read everything you can. Lot's of names are named, plus just about every moving company out there.

I was so scared of this happening to me, I rented a U-Haul truck three times and drove my stuff myself. I rented a storage unit, uloaded it and returned the truck. The first and second times I did some house hunting. Then I flew back one way. The third trip was the move.

It's a painful, miserable experience that I'd never want to repeat. A few thing I learned is that even after you go through everything, you will still move an unbelievable amount of stuff you don't want or need. This was realy anoying. The other thing that you can't do too well is label the boxes. Write everything down that's in the boxes. Load you boxes in alike items. I had boxes that I didn't open for three years because they were for my workshop, hunting and camping gear. Things I just didn't need right away.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #7  
make sure your insurance is up to the max,fire burns up everything,collect money and buy everything new:D
of course this is just in jest

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #8  
We purchased a 40' container in the SF Bay area where we were living. Filled it to the top with all our stuff (we had more than would fit in the container) at the container seller's lot. Friends who were truckers picked up our container at the lot, the seller loaded it (all 50,000 lbs) onto our friends' flat bed and they hauled it to Texas. Upon arriving in Texas, a hired crane offloaded it by the end of the garage where it sits today.

It was pretty economical for us. I'm sure our trucker friends gave us a good price. We had almost zero damage to anything. As others have mentioned, it was very handy to have several family members and friends to help with loading, in our case our container.

Don't imagine this would be for everyone, but it worked for us.

Mike

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #9  
Like Eddie said, you will move a lot of stuff that you probably could give away or sell. Donate stuff to church, goodwill, or some such non-profit, get tax receipt and deduct from taxes. Then by new what you need when you get moved. Didn't see where you said how far this move would be, maybe I overlooked it.

/ Any Tips on Low Cost Moving? (NJ->IN) #10  
As detailed in your moving quote, your price will be based directly on the space that your shipment occupies in our trailer, not on the weight of your belongings. Your U-Pack price will never increase based on the reweighing of your household goods

U-pack
I have never used this, but it looks good for heavy items