Bathroom remodel....please help

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #1  

papabear

Bronze Member
I really hope you great people can be of help to the wife and I.We are doing a light remodel/facelift of our small bathroom.The dilema we are having is this.We removed the plastic tile that was original to the home(built in 1960) but we are left with the glue residue.It was trowled on to the drywall and is next to impossible to remove without severe damage to the drywall.What would be a good remedy for this problem short of removing the drywall and putting up new drywall?New drywall is alot of mess,and much more involved than we can do at this time.We are trying to think of ways to cover this glue with some sort of wall covering that will go over the glue and be bathroom worthy as far as moisture and looks go.Also,this was just a wainscotting type tile that went about 4ft up around the perimeter of the room so we do not have to go up to the ceiling.
I really value everyones opinion here on this great site.I am here reading everyday even tho I don't post.Looking foreward to hearing from everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this and passing on your ideas. John

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #2  
The glue will scrape off with a layer of paper. You won't hurt the drywall enough to affect it, except for the finish. To make it smooth again, just spread out some sheetrock compound. When it's dry, sand smooth. Depending on your skills, it might take a few tries to get it spread and sanded smooth.

On a side note, I've found exterior paint to be the best choice for bathrooms. It wont mildew like interior paint, and bathroom paint with mildew inhibitor isn't very good to begin with. Plus it's expensive. Get a decent exterior paint and your walls will be waterproof.

Eddie

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #3  
Hey PB. I can't imagine any way to really "work" with that glue. How about replacing the plastic tile wainscotting with wooden wainscotting? They now make what I consider a real decent plywood, thin, that is meant to look like traditional beaded wainscotting. It would be easy to install and easy to finish off with a molding. Seal both sides if you are concerned about moisture. Best idea I can come up with. Good luck.

Mike

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #4  
I had plastic tile in our first house. After a nice hot shower, while I was shaving and the tiles were cooling down, they would pop off the wall and jump across the bathroom! I'd have one about every week. I had enough, so I scraped them all off. Then I had a glue mess on plaster with lathe strips behind it. I didn't want to remove the plaster, the glue would not come off, even with a heat gun. So I just drywalled over it and got extenders for the electrical boxes. I also had to get deeper window and door trim and move the medicine cabinet out.

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #5  
Hi papabear! now PLEASE!!! dont take offense, but "help to the wife and I" is incorrect. drop the wife and you would not say, "help 'I'" you would say "help me" so its correct to say "help the wife and me". (honestly, im just giving you a rule.. like give a man a fish/teach a man to fish) and we all get that wrong!!!! ok, my recommendation is 1.) replace the drywall, its easy and if the room is small relatively inexpensive. since you don't want to do that, 2.) buy the glossy bathroom 4X8 sheet of bathroom panelling at the depot/lowes/menards and attach directly to the glued up drywall (of course, take out as many rough bumps as you can) i hope i help a little ;) -tim

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #7  
Rough up a piece that has glue on it, apply some thinset and put on a couple of tiles. wait a few days and see if all works and the tiles stay on. Then make a decision.:D

For roughing up use a metal brush.

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #8  
I have done a few bathroom "facelifts" and the only one I wasn't real happy with was the one where we tried to fix all the deformities in the existing drywall/ceiling after removing the existing wallpaper covering. Ever do bodywork on a car? Ever see a really cheap/poorly done auto paintjob? Shooting the paint is the easy part in painting a car... The real difference between a great looking car paintjob and a poor looking paintjob is the ammount of time and skill spent in the prep work to get the surface perfectly smooth.

On the last bathroom we did(the one I am not happy with) We filled and sanded and smoothed with sponges untill we thought it was gonna look great. Then we painted it and it looked like a piece of painted pavement. We wound up doing a LOT of additional filling and smoothing over the painted surface to get to an acceptable level. The problem you run into is the eye has trouble gauging the surface imperfections in a surface with an uneven color such as you will get after removing the old surface covering(same reason camoflage is successfull). Then there is the dust... If you sand, then there is going to be a LOT of it, fine white and powdery that goes everywhere. A damp sponge on drywall spackling/joint compound is less messy, but has some disadvantages for getting a large open surface perfectly smooth. No matter how well you think you have smoothed the putty/spackling/filler you apply, there is going to be some surface imperfections when you lay down the first even coat of paint.

One option is to remove the existing drywall. New drywall is not very expensive and you can fairly easilly remove it in large pieces with some carefull cutting with a utility knife. The easiest I have found to do it is to find the studs and cut vertically on either side of a stud center and across the top and bottom near the floor and ceiling. IF you cut all the way thru, be carefull not to go deep enough to strike installed wireing. On the studs, You just need to miss the nails or screws holding up the existing drywall. You can then break out the pieces from floor to ceiling nearly the width of the studs. I then use a large cats paw to remove the remaining strip of drywall and the nails/screws from the studs and the floor and ceiling cross pieces. This is a great opportunity to add insulation and a vapor barrier before you put up the new drywall board. The insulation will keep the bathroom heat in the bathroom longer when the room is heated which will reduce condensation on the walls. The longer the moisture stays in vapor form, the more moisture will be drawn out with the ventilation during showers instead of finding it's way onto/into your walls. The new drywall will require much less finish work to achieve a smooth paintable surface than trying to patch the old.

Another option is to smooth off things as best as you can and add an additional layer of 1/4" drywall over the existing drywall. You will need to add standoffs to the light switches, recepticles and perhaps the plumbing fittings so they will match up with the new surface level, but other than that it will finish up as nice as the complete drywall replacement, but you loose the opportunity to insulate.

I have done this all 3 ways and in my opinion, the last 2 are easier with a nicer end result. If I attach any sort of dollar figure to my time(even paying myself minimum wage), then the time difference to achieve an acceptable result easilly offsets the cost of the new drywall.

Good Luck

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #9  
I think the old glue will always be a problem as long as it is there. Also, based on prior experience, these glues are a PITA to remove. Some of them might even contain asbestos [to make the product thicker and stronger]. I can understand you might not want to replace the drywall but please reconsider. If you don't want to remove and replace, then consider covering it with another sheet, or cover it with cement board [Hardibacker, Durock, etc] and tile over it with real tile, not plastic.

The bathroom, along with kitchen, is one of the most important spaces in the house. If you are afraid of getting in over your head, hire it out. The alternative, to do it in a substandard manner, might never be satisfactory.

/ Bathroom remodel....please help #10  
Papabear,
Demo the drywall and hire someone to put in new sheetrock, tape/bed and texture. An experienced drywall person can be in and out in 2 days, leaving you a fresh room to work on. Getting a bathroom rocked, tape/bedded and textured is a lot cheaper then you think it will be. Or, like some others have said, leave the drywall in place and have the drywall contractor just rock over it, this would save you from the demo.