Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #21  
Man but this thread is making me hungry!

Had pork butt this last weekend at hunting camp but it wasn't smoked. Boiled, then shredded, then cooked on a griddle in camp for sandwiches. Good nonetheless.

And I still remember when I was driving truck and would go through the eastern part of Texas where big piles of hickory trees were being burnt. Immediately hungry, couldn't find a BBQ place fast enough!

I've never cooked a pork butt, but I have a smoker and will be cooking one soon. Some great tips!

Phil

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #22  
HI SHERPA,
I must be a redneck,from the backwoods,cause i didnt even have a clue what a boston butt was.I thought it must involve JOHN KERRY,and his idiotic comment,and you were a bunch of vigelantis[bet i didnt spell that one right]
I was gonna suggest you invite TED KENNEDY,but not for the designated driver.
My wife cooks this stuff in a crock pot all the time.She makes it the night before,turns it on before work,and its done when we get home...boy dont the house smell good.
Kind of funny,how the same things have different names across the land,We call this one a pork roast i believe.Wife never heard that one either.
Now you done it,im heading to the fridge.SEE WHAT YOUVE DONE.
alan

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ
Hey,
I wonder if you could smoke your BBQ in another hardwood besides Hickory? Has anyone ever tried Red Oak, Lucust, Maple or sour wood. I got all kinds of hardwood trees up the hill here behind the place.
Sherpa

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #24  
All this talk about B-B-Q made me hungry. I stopped on the way home and bought a Boston Butt to smoke for sndwiches. I put a rub on it and am about to put it on. Can't wait.

Thanks,

Josh

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #25  
sherpa said:
Hey,
I wonder if you could smoke your BBQ in another hardwood besides Hickory? Has anyone ever tried Red Oak, Lucust, Maple or sour wood. I got all kinds of hardwood trees up the hill here behind the place.
Sherpa

The basic answer to your question is "yes, you can use wood other than hickory for smoking.

Fruit woods are good (apple, cherry,e.g.), maple, white oak (don't know about red oak or the the others you mentioned), mesquite (Small amounts as the flavor can be overwhelming). Do a little research. Experiment. Some meats do better with certain woods over others.

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #26  
bmac said:
The basic answer to your question is "yes, you can use wood other than hickory for smoking.

Fruit woods are good (apple, cherry,e.g.), maple, white oak (don't know about red oak or the the others you mentioned), mesquite (Small amounts as the flavor can be overwhelming). Do a little research. Experiment. Some meats do better with certain woods over others.

The oaks are good for smoking too. I use white oak or red oak 1" lumber cut-offs from my shop scrap pile most of the time.
Another tip... always use dry wood, as green wood will generate more "tars" in the smoke and often give a foul taste to the food as well as build up on the smoker requiring frequent scrubbing.

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ
Another tip... always use dry wood, as green wood will generate more "tars" in the smoke and often give a foul taste to the food as well as build up on the smoker requiring frequent scrubbing.

This is good to know. I am so happy how my BBQ turned out! I have told everyone I know. Lucky I live in the sticks or people would be knocking my door down for a taste of this stuff.
sherpa

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #28  
Just this thread will probably cause pork prices to rise?

mark

/ Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #29  
Just like Al, I got my piggy shoulder yesterday eve and started half of it at 6am today. I'm using native blue oak chips made from my old Fitchberg chipper. Pic 1, seasoned and ready to go. Pic 2, lookin good after 4 hours :D

Attachments

• DSCN2211a.jpg
    DSCN2211a.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN2216a.jpg
    DSCN2216a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 213
   / Cooking a Boston Butt for BBQ #30  
This thread got me so hungry, I ordered a crock pot yesterday. I don't even like to cook. We could almost have a cooking / grilling section and share cooking / grilling / smoking information. Just a thought.

Howard