Swill Hollow!

/ Swill Hollow! #1  

K7147

Silver Member
Tractor
L4330HSTC
Yep, that’s what we call the place! I’m not sure if we named it that to keep unwanted relatives from a casual visit or to temper our joy at finally having found our niche in this vast world. Many of us eventually find “our spot” that seems to fit us like a glove. It might be a postage stamp lot with a white picket fence or it might be several thousand acres of natural beauty. No matter, it’s exactly what you’ve always had in your mind’s eye. Our search, although not constant, was conducted over many years via travel and business activities in all fifty states and fifty three countries. It is perfect? Probably only to us, however, your place is probably only “perfect” for you.:)

Our property is situated on eighty acres (mostly wooded) in an ancient river valley amongst the Green Mountains of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Do we have water? I think so! The northern boundary of the property consists of almost a mile of trout infested back-woods river. The western property border consists of a 300,000 sq ft natural bass pond that empties into the river. The southern property boundary provides the inflow of two major streams compete with a couple of waterfalls and five seasonal streams. The major streams feed the bass pond and the minor streams occasionally wipe out my long curved culverted driveway entering on the east boundary! As we felt we didn’t have enough water features we built two trout ponds off the front deck and are in process of working on a third constructed pond. Our property “forest” has everything from black cherry to white cedar and some thirty species in between. About 80% of the house, two barns, as well as an artist’s studio (wife’s) were built from lumber milled right from the property.

For those of you who have not visited this specific area I’ll describe it as 1860’s New England with “gentle” mountain terrain and the closest stop light some thirty miles distant. Little villages nestled amongst the fully forested mountains and kicking and screaming to keep out the “big box” stuff. You can drive on a four lane interstate divided highway for fifty miles and see only five cars during the trip! You can drive a motorcycle along meandering roads from here to Maine…..and mostly only see other motorcycles! Out the drive and 5,000 miles of back-woods snowmobile trails await you.

Free manure from local farms, a foreign country ten miles away, and no neighbors within rifle shot…..what else is there?:confused:

Ok, here are some photographs. By the way, we’d love to see some photographs from your place or area. Remember, if it’s special to you….it’s perfection!;)

1. River North: North boundary from our deck.
2. Bass to River: Outflow from bass pond to river in fall season.
3. Stream Flood South: Stream in full flood at southern boundary.
4. Entrance East: The entrance drive.
5. Snow Dock: Front Lawn dock area in winter
6. Wow: Mom Nature and her fall firestorm.
7. Local Fall: Falls in the area.
8. Bass Pond West: On property western boundary.
9. Pond Old Ford: View from deck of trout pond and my old 427 ford.
10. Vermont Orchid: Yep! Native in our backyard!

Ken

Last edited:
   / Swill Hollow! #2  
Definitely a beautiful chunk of property. Let me know when you're ready to sell...

/ Swill Hollow! #3  
It certainly is a beautiful place and I think I'd like everything about it except that you get too much of that white stuff.;) I've never used a snow blower and have no desire to start.:D

/ Swill Hollow! #4  
Man that's nice!! We have green (less than you) only a couple of months per year, no white ever, and golden brown most of the time. It was worth the years you spent looking!

Phil

/ Swill Hollow! #5  
Beautiful place! And I wouldn't worry about the cold. With global warming, you can probably start planting southern pecans, since Georgia will have to switch to coconuts soon.

Chuck

/ Swill Hollow! #6  
KEN,
very nice property.The fishin looks inviting.Do you fish much? Big ones? Dont worry im way up here in MAINE[got a vacation week left though ha ha]
ALAN

/ Swill Hollow! #7  
Very nice place you have there. All that running water with the falls and rapids are just amazing!!!

Thanks for sharing
Eddie

/ Swill Hollow! #8  
Your perfect property is very beautiful and thank you for sharing.

/ Swill Hollow!
escavader said:
KEN,
very nice property.The fishin looks inviting.Do you fish much? Big ones? Dont worry im way up here in MAINE[got a vacation week left though ha ha]
ALAN
Hi Alan!

I thank you and the others for the nice comments. Your own area is spectacular! We try to get up there as often as possible as the view off the mountaintops onto those huge lakes is amazing! We’ve also found the locals to be exceptionally friendly and interesting. I’ve also been following the posts on your garage project and compliment you on a very nice job indeed. As to your question on the fishing…… Well, there was a time when I found it difficult to pass even a road puddle without having the desire to unfold the fly rod and test the waters. As a type “A” it was one of the few ways I’d found to get out of 11th gear and into neutral. Surprisingly, I don’t often fish our own ponds as they are kind of reserved for the grandkids and kids of friends and neighbors. One little lady of about ten years of age hauled out a rainbow of 26” that weighed just shy of nine pounds! Her dad was both thrilled and disappointed ….as he had never caught a trout that large in forty years of fishing!:(

Now, my great joy is to head high up into the mountains onto a feeder streams and spend the entire day with the wife and spaniels fishing the stream as it meanders down the hillside. I’ve found that if I tie a fly that is particularly ugly and poorly shaped….it works the best. What the dogs don’t scare off….the wife catches! We are talking about native brook trout where “huge” is about six inches long Given the choice of getting trampled by humans at some premier stream or river that produce large fish or hauling out a five inch trout from a remote stream pool in the forest….I’ll take the little guy every time!;)

As you mentioned that you might make an unannounced (night?) visit to our ponds I’d suggest you carry a pair of tweezers capable of removing #2 birdshot from posterior portions of your anatomy!:eek:

Kidding aside, thanks for all the comments. I’d love to see more threads like this that show “your” place……wherever you might reside.

Ken

/ Swill Hollow! #10  
K7147 said:
I’d love to see more threads like this that show “your” place……wherever you might reside.

Ken

OK, Ken, since you asked! You're right for sure, everyone has their own little bit of heaven. I found mine about 3 years ago, in an area where my family has roots in a rural part of Nova Scotia. I always dreamed of someday retiring to Nova Scotia, and suddenly this parcel of about 10 acres appeared on the market and I bought it about 2 1/2 years ago. And miracle of miracles, the company I work for transferred me from Toronto (where I have worked my entire life!) to Halifax a year and a half ago. Now from Halifax I can drive to my country property in about an about and a half, instead of just visiting it once or twice a year from 1000 miles away!

It's an old farmstead, but the buildings are long gone. Lots of alders and shrub-sized stuff, but also some huge beautiful pines and oaks along the water's edge. I bought the land and had a path cleared down to the edge of the river (a good-sized salt water river, with tides). The property is in a corner of the river with a stream also entering there, where I have put in a floating dock. The river? Salmon in the fall, for fly fishing only, speckled trout in the spring, and a variety of other fish in between, including brown trout, sea bass, and mackerel out in the harbour. And birds galore. I have named my property "Eagle's Landing" due to the favourite spot for the local bald eagle population being right at the foot of my path to the river, on a big old pine tree. If I walk down quietly, they don't seem to mind me being there and sharing their space.

I have attached some photos, including one of the building site with my future house photohopped in (I have bought the plans, now just have to save enough $$ to build it!) and a second shot of the house from a photo where I bought the plans from. The photo of the house I decided to build looks like it was MADE for my lot. The garage has been in for almost a year now. And I can hardly wait to make this my year-round residence. maybe within a year or two! And with scnery real near-by like Peggy's Cove (the last picture), I am guessing the guest bedroom will likely be busy too! Thanks for the opportunity to share stories!

Attachments

• Fall Day at Wallace River (621 x 459).jpg
    Fall Day at Wallace River (621 x 459).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Eagle in tree (816 x 612).jpg
    Eagle in tree (816 x 612).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Boat at dock (816 x 612).jpg
    Boat at dock (816 x 612).jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Boat at dock 2 (576 x 432).jpg
    Boat at dock 2 (576 x 432).jpg