Another family business gone

/ Another family business gone #1  

Ken_CT

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23, Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 w/mulch kit, Wheel Horse 14-38XL
Last week an Agway store named Wilmot Brothers closed in the area. It was a family owned business that had been around for many, many years. I enjoyed going there for supplies because the people were informative and friendly, and their prices were not much (if at all) higher than the big stores, and they had a better selection of quality products. I was more than happy to give my business to a local family operation. Now where do I buy fertilizer and other supplies? Home Depot or Walmart? Really a shame, hate to see them go.

Ken

/ Another family business gone #2  
Ken_CT said:
Last week an Agway store named Wilmot Brothers closed in the area. It was a family owned business that had been around for many, many years. I enjoyed going there for supplies because the people were informative and friendly, and their prices were not much (if at all) higher than the big stores, and they had a better selection of quality products. I was more than happy to give my business to a local family operation. Now where do I buy fertilizer and other supplies? Home Depot or Walmart? Really a shame, hate to see them go.

Ken

I hate to see a business like that go, also. My parents retired a few years back, closing the doors on the family greenhouse (the flower shop has been gone for years). Most of the Agways in this state have closed, along with the farms that supported them. At least the memories of those farms live on, in quaint little subdivisions such as "Apple Ridge Lane" :rolleyes:

After putting everyone else out of business Walmart will stop carrying those products, and you'll have to mail order everything. Of course, they never had those specialty items that a local store stocked.

/ Another family business gone #3  
Morning Ken.
Agway stores use to be number 1 in our area but no longer...not one store left :( and I agree about comsumer service etc...its gotten so bad where we live there only one good feed and garden store left and the rest are big name stores :(....sure hope the day never comes when I stand in WalMart or KMart line w/500lbs of deer pellets.

/ Another family business gone #4  
We have a fairly new Super Wal-Mart in my hometown. Since then we have lost 3 locally owned gas stations, a family owned grocery and a family owned hardware store. There are still some of the Mom & Pops left, but I don't expect most of them to last long. I try to frequent them (a lot of them use my PC Networking services and Wal-Mart doesn't). Thing is, lots of times I have gotten a better price to go along w/ the better service at the locally owned stores. People have just bought into Wal-Mart's low price marketing.
We complain about the big stores driving out the little man, but let's face it, as a society we have pretty much done this to ourselves.

/ Another family business gone #5  
I REALLY miss the local hardware store that was right around the corner.
So convenient with knowledgeable owners. It was a pleasure to go there.

/ Another family business gone #6  
It is often said that people get what they deserve. Unfortunately, most of the people shop price first and service and quality last. This is why the big box stores keep growing. It isn't just Agway stores that this trend is effecting, but all forms of business. Growing up, there were Thom McCann shoes stores and lots of locally owned shoe stores. There was a shoe repair store in every town. Today, you will have a next to impossible task to find a place that will put new soles and heels on a pair of shoes. The Thom McCann name survives, but they are made in China, and have no resemblance to what they once were. The only way to keep these loss of small family owned stores is to support them. The small extra cost is more than made up by the fact that they support the local economy and have the expertise and service that we all desire. If you want to loose the ability to have a choice where to shop, then support the large box store. While I will make purchases at Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, or for that matter, Walmart, I first try to find the item at the locally owned store first. The way that I see it, the people that work in the locally owned stores are my neighbors, and their lively hood depends on it. They in turn also support locally owned business. Even the large box stores are now learning that there is a lot of competition from the on-line stores, that have no local presence and sell for even less. Sometimes, I wonder where it will all end....... Dusty

/ Another family business gone #7  
Keep up with the times, or move on. This is why record stores now sell CD's and not vinyl.

/ Another family business gone #8  
Dusty said:
I first try to find the item at the locally owned store first. The way that I see it, the people that work in the locally owned stores are my neighbors, and their lively hood depends on it. They in turn also support locally owned business.

If it makes you feel any better, if you buy something online, that's local to someone else.

/ Another family business gone #9  
Ken_CT said:

Ken

Ken, There is a TSC in Enfield. Is that anywhere near you?

/ Another family business gone
JimR said:
Ken, There is a TSC in Enfield. Is that anywhere near you?
Thanks Jim,

It's about an hour drive. Been there a few time when in the area, but it's a long drive for a couple pounds of lawn seed:D, although I did purchase my XB impliments from them. There is a dealer who sells chinese tractors near me where I can get hitch pins and common goodies.