shopping for a car lift

/ shopping for a car lift #1  

YanmarFever

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010C- Branson 4520r- 5520C- Yanmar FX235-D - Bad Boy rogue mower
We built a new shop this past month & we are shopping for a 4 post lift, for tractors and cars. does anyone here own one & know any benefits , good or bad about them & where to shop around for one, we are looking for a 7000 lb. + lift up to 10,000 lb. any advice would be great.
Ernie

/ shopping for a car lift #2  
I recently purchased a Bend Pak 9000 # 4 post lift, and I can say first hand, that I searched out every brand that is out there, both for price and quality. The Bend Pak cost $2450 delivered. It is extremely well made and the only lift that I could find in that price range that was American made and also certified by an independent lift association. Most all others are manufactured in China. I am not going to bash them for being made in China, but I will say that if you need parts, it will be a big hassle. After speaking to the representatives at the auto car shows, I have learned that no one stocks spare parts for the lifts. If they need a part, they steal it off another lift and then get a replacement when the next delivery arrives by boat. My Bend Pak had one damaged part when I unpacked it, and they sent me a new part overnight delivery. The best place to purchase price wise, is Automotive Service Equipment - auto lifts, car lifts, welders, tire changers . The only difference between the dealers is price. They all place the order with the manufacturer, and the manufacturer ships to the customer. The lift will arrive as one piece strapped together with metal banding. It will weigh about 1700 pounds, and you will need a large fork lift to handle it, or a large tractor that is capable of dealing with a unit that is 14+ feet long.
If you don't need to move it around, the 12,000 # lift is also a great item. Costs a little more, but the extra 3000 pound capacity is nice to have.
One last thing..... some of the imported lifts are rated in metric tons, which are lighter than the 2000 pound ton that we use. Dusty

/ shopping for a car lift #3  
One last thing..... some of the imported lifts are rated in metric tons, which are lighter than the 2000 pound ton that we use.

Metric ton = 1000 kg = 2200 pounds.

A metric ton is actually 10% heavier than a 2000 pound US ton.

/ shopping for a car lift #4  
You are correct. I was thinking of something else at the time and not concentrating. Actually 1000 kg = 2,204.6 pounds. It is late and my mind isn't following the instructions that I am giving it. Time to go to bed. Dusty

/ shopping for a car lift #5  
The only vehicle lift's you will find in my shop are Rotary. Probably the most expensive but also the best there is. For heavy truck/tractor lifting I use a portable 4 column ARI Hetra lift. For floor jacks and in pit axle lifts I use Gray jacks.

/ shopping for a car lift #6  
May not be applicable to your area, but in my dad's area, there were folks that were reconditioning and selling used lifts.

My dad's and his buddy both got one from there. If I remember right about $1000 delivered and installed and garunteed by the reconditioner. They were both really happy with theirs, and they were both name brand lifts.

I believe there is more than 1 american made brand still out there though.

/ shopping for a car lift #7  
I have been looking at Bend-Pak myself, there is also Rotary, and Challenger, that I have seen.

ASE place that Dusty mentioned was the best price, I found.

also check Alpha-Omega tools, or similar to that.

steve

/ shopping for a car lift #8  
im sourcing mine from a local place that deals with them. they also have a large selection of used units in the $1500 range.

Bend-pack and rotary being the most 2 common.

/ shopping for a car lift #9  
Ernie,

This topic popped up earlier on TBN. I think this year.

I want to say either Skurka or Dargo started the thread.

Might want to find the thread it had some good info as I remember.

Later,
Dan

/ shopping for a car lift #10  
The Bend Pak and the Rotary are identical in design, and I have a feeling that they are both coming out of the same factory, but can't prove it. I did ask at Bend Pak, but never got a reply.
I did a search and found this post by Junkman from February 2004, and this one by Dargo about a 2 post lift vs. 4 post lift.
For all those people thinking about a 2 post lift, see the pictures below of what happens when one of the arms slips off. Not a pretty sight. I know of this accident first hand, and I was told that the technician that put the car on the lift had over 20 years experience using 2 post lifts at this dealership. All it takes is for something to cause it to loose its balance point.

Attachments

• 96Limo-2.jpg
    96Limo-2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 4,905
  • 96Limo-3.jpg
    96Limo-3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,082