Mouse Proofing

/ Mouse Proofing #1  

stumpfield

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MT265B
What's the best way to keep mice/rodents out of my trailer? We left the trailer there, came back 2 weeks later and found mouse droppings all over. Foam insulations and clothing got chew up. They must be having a big party there... Any good tips to keep them out?

/ Mouse Proofing #2  
Its next to impossible to mouse proof a trailer, but you can slow them down by putting out poison in bate boxes around the trailer. Also make sure that there is no food for them inside the trailer. Then also put poison bait inside the trailer for those that get into the trailer. If you can find the point of entry, try to close it up with foam from the can that HD and Lowe's sells. A mouse can squeeze in through a 1/4" opening, so it is very hard to find every one of these and seal them. Dusty

/ Mouse Proofing
Dusty said:
Its next to impossible to mouse proof a trailer, but you can slow them down by putting out poison in bate boxes around the trailer. Also make sure that there is no food for them inside the trailer. Then also put poison bait inside the trailer for those that get into the trailer. If you can find the point of entry, try to close it up with foam from the can that HD and Lowe's sells. A mouse can squeeze in through a 1/4" opening, so it is very hard to find every one of these and seal them. Dusty

I don't have any food inside. These little guys brought their own food. I found acorn, pieces of pine cone and nuts inside the trailer. I remember some TV commercial about an electronic device that would chase them away. Anyone remember the name of these electronic devices?

Last edited:
   / Mouse Proofing #4  
stumpfield said:
I don't have any food inside. These little guys brought their own food. I found acorn, pieces of pine cone and nuts inside the trailer. I remember some TV commercial about a electronic device that would chase them away. Anyone remember the name of these electronic devices?

Afternoon Stumpfield,
This sounds like what your lookin for :) http://www.opamerica.com/images/products/riddex_main.jpg

/ Mouse Proofing #5  
There is really only one way to keep them out, and that is to close up every entry point. Anything they can squeeze their little hed through is a potential (and probable) entry point. The other thing you can try which we've had some success with, is putting dryer sheets all around inside the caper. Especially in drawers, under cabinets and such. Apparently they hate the smell and avoid it (plus, the camper smells nice in the spring!)

/ Mouse Proofing #6  
Glue traps....that way there's no dead bodies in places you can't get to. We buy them by the case on ebay for around 40 cents or so each. Great for insects too. Put out a couple dozen in likely runways. Added bonus...while they won't stop a snake, they will make it very difficult for it to go anywhere, and eventually it will likely die rather than hiding in your trailer.

/ Mouse Proofing #7  
Last year I caught 15 in a week in our house. We never found where they had gotten into any food anywhere. In fact, most were caught upstairs, where nobody lives and there's definitely no food up there.

It got so bad, that we could lay in bed, hear a trap go off, go check it in the morning, and all that was left was blood and a little fur. The other mice would hear one of their buddies get caught and then run over to eat him. Nature is fairly gross when it's happening in your upstairs bathroom!

We haven't had near the problem this year, but we have since cleared the weeds back from the house and planted a proper yard, so I think that has helped.

/ Mouse Proofing
I want something that will keep them out of my trailer or make it an undesirable place for them to live. I don't mind they're around me. We can co-exist as long as not inside my trailer....
I setup 4 traps, the next morning, I got 4 dead mice. Do that the next day, I got 4 more. They just keep coming. I don't think I can ever kill them all. So far, no one suggest that electronic ultrasound device yet. So, I sugguest it probably doesn't work. I was hoping someone had tried one of those high frequency sounding device.

/ Mouse Proofing #9  
We have one of the ultrasonic thingies in the attic, right next to where the mice love to congregate. They're junk. (in my always humble opinion, of course :D )

/ Mouse Proofing #10  
Stumpfield, ya need to close ALL holes... and like you have been told, no food at all. I know where your coming from, we have a 90 plus foot tall pecan tree in our backyard and lots of squirrels/rats with the pecan shells.. You have to BLOCK all entry in your home at all cost..We use DeCon and it don't work?? go figure.
Jim