Burying plastic culvert pipe

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe
tallyho8 said:
Do y'all have daiquiri shops with drive-up windows?
:rolleyes:

They don't allow those places here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusett's

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #32  
_RaT_ said:
Thats how its done here, how do they do it where you live?
JimR said:
That's how they are done around here and everywhere else in N.E. Over the last 30 years I have pulled at least a dozen vehicles out of this ditch during the wintertime when there is snow on the road. Not one of then has hit a pole yet.
I work for Louisiana DOTD and that would be a big problem for us. We don't allow utility poles to be that close to the roadway. Usually, the poles go at the edge of the highway right-of-way, behind the ditches. Now, it may be different on city or parish roads.
tallyho8 said:
All of the poles are like that on the River Road where I live. Cars hit one every week. All the poles have dates on them. I checked the dates on 16 of them in my block and none were older than 4 years old. People don't drive too well around here. Do y'all have daiquiri shops with drive-up windows?
:rolleyes:
So true!

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #33  
Jarrett
In 1989 I was in Livingston Parish and we had just finished hunting on a small narrow blacktop side road and we got back in the truck and started to leave. A drunk came around the curve and headed straight for us in the middle of the road. The road was so narrow, with absolutely no shoulder and with trees growing at the edge of the blacktop, that when I pulled over to the side as far as I could go, touching trees and stopped, that I just had my 2 wheels off the road. I started to get out the truck and run, but then figured it was safer in my truck then getting run over on foot. He swerved into our lane and hit us head on and totaled both vehicles. It sure was scary sitting there and watching him come at us with nowhere to go and nothing to do. Now I can imagine how those poles feel! :D The poles on the River Road where I live are on a LA. state hwy between the road and the levee. The Army Corps of Engineers will not let them move the poles further up the levee away from the road. But they grow some nice poles in Livingston Parish so it keeps your neighbors working.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #34  
Jarrett said:
I work for Louisiana DOTD and that would be a big problem for us. We don't allow utility poles to be that close to the roadway. Usually, the poles go at the edge of the highway right-of-way, behind the ditches. Now, it may be different on city or parish roads.

So true!

No question I agree with you, I'd like to see all power and other utilities underground to eliminate the dangers and visual graffiti that is inherent with utility poles.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #36  
Jarrett said:

Keep in mind that New England roads go back to the 1600's. Those poles are very likely on the edge of the right of way & the ditch on private property. The concept of a 50' or more right of way is much newer than New England. MikeD74T

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #37  
LBrown59 said:
[
if you're going to have a ditch above a culvert then why do you need the culvert?
Funny you should ask this. Most who want to access their property install a culvert and gravel over the culvert to get on their property, I have a 4X 4 pickup and could probably access this using the present ditch. I don't however because it is hard on the truck and hard on the ditch. So, people drop in these culverts, cover with gravel and drive on in... It is Massachusetts chapter 90 law, one cannot push snow or ice from their drive access back onto a public roadway... We get lot's of snow some years and always get lot's of freezing rain every year. If the top of the culvert were to be even or higher than road it is accessing, then you guarantee to push freezing rain/ice, or snow onto that public roadway. The property owner becomes liable for accidents and even excessive sanding if required by the local highway dept. Thus, the access top has to be three inches lower than the road..

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #38  
MikeD74T said:
Jarrett said:

Keep in mind that New England roads go back to the 1600's. Those poles are very likely on the edge of the right of way & the ditch on private property. The concept of a 50' or more right of way is much newer than New England. MikeD74T

Today ditches are on the road right of way.
Does the property owner have any right to repair or maintain the ditch?

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe
The picture I posted of the ditch is on state property. That road is a state numbered route. The state owns 20' on each side of the road. The town maintains the ditch and road. I had them dig this ditch out years ago. The road was built up with wall stones many years ago. Water would flow under the road and into our front yard during heavy rains.

Last edited:
   / Burying plastic culvert pipe #40  
MikeD74T said:
Jarrett said:
I work for Louisiana DOTD and that would be a big problem for us. We don't allow utility poles to be that close to the roadway. Usually, the poles go at the edge of the highway right-of-way, behind the ditches. Now, it may be different on city or parish roads.QUOTE]

The traditional road right of way in New England is based on the old English roads standards, which are 2 rods wide. A rod is 17.5 feet. The measurement is take on the road center as the road is normally traveled.
Dusty