OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Planning old time picnic in April. Expecting two to three hundred folks and kids of all ages. Average age probably will be on the older side and not to many young ones.
Could use some ideas for activities, games, contests, event planning and anything else one might have to offer.

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #3  
Morning ctpres,
1st thing came to my mind bout TEXAS was heat and dehydration! I thought about placing losts of water cans full of water & drink around! If YOU started around 1st of yr & had a big chest type freezer YOU could freeze big chunks of ice & gator aid type of jucies & then put them in plastic water coolers with water/etc and let it melt down as it's being used!(5 & 2.5 gal buckets & 1 gal milk jugs) It would keep kidO's cool & hydrated! DON'T use can drinks cause kids seem to waste more than they drink, they will take a sip or 2 & then set can down & leave it! April may not be hot enough to worry bout dehydration but That was my 1st thought! A friend of mine had a store grand opening and hired a company to come out & set up fountain drink cabnet(kinda like a beer keg) and had paper cups & a serve yourself type deal, but I don't know if that would fit U'r need to! What's the menu? & where & when?hehehehe

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #4  
Couple hundred people are gonna need a place to go to the bathroom.

Spray for bugs and spread poison for fire ants a month before hand and do it every week before it starts. You might even rent a few of those propane mesquito killing contraptions.

Anything with water will keep the kids happy. If the kids are happy, everyone is happy. Water slides on plastic, spriklers to run through or just a few hoses to make a mess will provide hours and hours of fun. If you're really crazy, make a mud pit for them and an area to hose them off.

Eddie

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #5  
I've seen a game that is played like horseshoes, you take 2 one pound coffee can and bolt them into a box that is 16" X 20" X 3-1/2". Make the bottom out of OSB or scrapes of plywood. Get 1" diameter flat washers, 6ea and paint 3 one color and 3 a different color (or mark them as sets of 3 someway) Place the boxes a comfortable distance apart and throw the washers (two teams of two people each) throw the washers and try to get them into the can. 3 points for each one in the can and 1 point for each one in the box. Lots of fun, easy to make, and can be moved to stay in the shade. Have several games made up and get some competion going.

Also, attach two golf balls to a 12" piece of cord. paint one set a different color. 3 ball/cord set. Make a PVC (1") stand with one level at 18" and one level at 36" (shaped like an U upside down with a bar across the middle) attached to something heavy to keep it upright. Place the stands pararell to each other and throw at the other stand on the opposite end. The balls will wrap around the cross pieces, give 1 point for the top bar and 2 points for the bottm bar. Go to 11 in both games. This is played the same as the washer game. You can't step past the goal on the throwing end.

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #6  
With that many people I'd plan on a volley ball net, and even maybe a soccer match. As mentioned, have the Port A Potties available as your septic will surely be taxed if you are not on a public system.

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #7  
Old Folks!

Lots of chairs for so past/future mountains can be climbed. Washroom facilities. Shade, tent?

And --- real homemade icecream using real cream!:D

Give the kids some balls and such like, send them to an enclosed area and forget about them.

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #8  
What are you planning for food?

Phil

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #9  
He should roast a pig.

/ OLD FASHONED PICNIC-HELP #10  
Yeah JIMR, that was my 2nd thought! A HOG ROAST! Now that's fun! A ole redneck hog roast and let the kids help out! Sure hope we get our invites tooooo! roho