Anyone up for the egg trick?

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
Winter begins in a couple of weeks, at the time we crossover and the solstice begins, you should be able to stand an egg up on it's end (see my avatar), this was done back in the spring. I nearly fell out of my chair. I started trying to stand it up about 5 minutes before the appointed time given by local radio station said we would cross, around 11:45 a.m when spring began this year. I would try to stand it up a couple of times, then wait for minute to pass, then try again. Sure enough, I stood it up, turned it loose and it stayed standing up. My daughter took the photo with her camera phone and uploaded to my computer. I went and got several folks in the office to come look, they thought it was pretty neat. One lady asked, "How long will it stay that way"? I said I didn't know, picked it up, laid it down and tried to stand it back up. Wouldn't work. I don't know how long it would have stayed if I hadn't messed with it, but I will try again in a couple of weeks. Try it for yourself.

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #3  
GaryM said:

And here's the rest of the story:
Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions

From the article:

"As you may know, most urban legends in America like this one have origins that are lost in the murky history of repeated tellings. It's usually impossible to trace the origin to even a specific century, let alone a date. However, in this case, we can find a traceable and very specific origin: Life magazine.

As reported by Martin Gardner in the Skeptical Inquirer (May/June 1996, page 8), the legend was born with an article penned by Annalee Jacoby in the March 19, 1945 issue of Life magazine. Ms. Jacoby was on assignment in China at that time, when she witnessed a peculiar Chinese ritual. In China, the first day of spring is called Li Chun, and they reckon it to be roughly six weeks before the vernal equinox. As loyal Bad Astronomy readers already know, in most countries, the equinoxes and solstices do not mark the beginning of seasons; America is odd in that we say that Spring begins on the equinox. Since a season is three months long, these other countries believe the actual first day of spring is six weeks before the equinox.

According to Chinese legend, it is easier to stand an egg on end on what they call the first day of spring (which, remember, is in early February). The Chinese legend, unfortunately, has an uncertain origin, though it is propagated through old books about Chinese rituals. Ms. Jacoby was in the capital city of Chunking on Li Chun when a crowd of people came to balance eggs. It must have been quite a sight, and so she wrote about it for Life.

Evidently, the United Press picked up the story and promptly sent it out over the wire. At that moment, a legend was born."

And here's more info, with pictures: Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions

Evidently, if an egg can be balanced, it can be balanced any day, not just on an equinox.

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #4  
BillG_in_TX said:
Evidently, if an egg can be balanced, it can be balanced any day, not just on an equinox.

OK, you've ruined that yearly ritual for us, :( now please, remember, this is a family forum so don't say anything about Santa Claus. :D

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #5  
Does anyone know why an egg is big on one end and small on the other?

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #6  
N80 said:
Does anyone know why an egg is big on one end and small on the other?

I think you should ask the HEN WHY the egg is bigger on one end :D :x ;)

just think if it was cubed!? lol
mark M

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #7  
tallyho8 said:
OK, you've ruined that yearly ritual for us, :( now please, remember, this is a family forum so don't say anything about Santa Claus. :D

Mornin Tallyho8,
Yep, some of us still believe you know ;) :)

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #8  
SPIKER said:
I think you should ask the HEN WHY the egg is bigger on one end

Yep. It just reminded me of a story when I was in biology class on college. The professor was discussing the structural 'engineering' of living things and he was using the egg as an example of a shape that provided a lot of structural integrity. But before he got to telling us why, he asked the class why the egg was shaped the way it is. A country fellow in our class raised his hand and said, quite seriously, "so the hen's butt don't slam shut when she lays it". I just about wet my pants!

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #9  
Same reason some other things are tapered on the end! :D

/ Anyone up for the egg trick? #10  
Another interesting thing is that when south of the equator water will drain counter clockwise and when on the equator water does not want to drain at all.

mark