starting a Stihl saw

/ starting a Stihl saw #3  
Yes, I do. I like it a lot. I have used Stihls for years using the carbide chains (specialized application) and we swore by that brand (We would buy hundreds of saws).

My personal saw is an "Easy2Start" and it works wonderfully.

/ starting a Stihl saw #4  
I think it's a spring thing in the pull thing. A friends' wife described it to me a while back. Sounds like pulling the starter cord doesn't turn the engine, but winds up a spring. When you release the cord, the spring unwinds and spins the engine. Word was it worked pretty well. If that's what it is, it reminds me of a roto-tiller my dad had years ago. Had a crank that you wound up and folded it back on itself. That caused the engine to spin from the wound up spring. Gave him fits back then, maybe they've improved the technology in the last 30 years?

/ starting a Stihl saw #5  
RobS said:
I think it's a spring thing in the pull thing. A friends' wife described it to me a while back. Sounds like pulling the starter cord doesn't turn the engine, but winds up a spring. When you release the cord, the spring unwinds and spins the engine. Word was it worked pretty well. If that's what it is, it reminds me of a roto-tiller my dad had years ago. Had a crank that you wound up and folded it back on itself. That caused the engine to spin from the wound up spring. Gave him fits back then, maybe they've improved the technology in the last 30 years?

Looks like a "spring thing". Here is URL to it @ Stihl's site:
STIHL Incorporated United States -- Products -- Trimmers -- Manufacturing and Selling The World's Number One Chain Saw

RavensRoost

/ starting a Stihl saw
RobS said:
Some of the rotery push mowers started that way back then also.

/ starting a Stihl saw #7  
RobS said:

Rob, you have the right idea, but the spring doesn't unwind "when you release the cord". It unwinds and starts the engine when it reaches a certain amount of tension; usually while you are pulling the cord. However, you can be pulling the cord just as slowly as you want to. I have it on my FS55RC Stihl string trimmer and sure do like it.

/ starting a Stihl saw #10  
I have several Stihls, one with easy start. Here's a potential problem: if you pull the cord on a regular saw, it either starts, or it doesn't ...if you pull the cord on an easy start, it either starts, or it doesn't ...or, it waits a second or two until you may be off guard, and then starts !! While it is easier on the shoulder, my guess is that it is a liability suit waiting to happen, and then they'll be gone ...just my opinion.

incidentally, some of us oldsters remember outboards that wound up and then released to crank the engine ...Evinrude was the one I remember.