Generator question

/ Generator question #21  
CurlyDave said:
Some of the generators on the market are actually alternators producing DC and then generate the AC power with an inverter. The Honda EU series are this way. Very quiet. The motor RPM's increase with the load.

The problem with the Honda EUs (and imitators) is that they are very expensive for the kW produced, and they only come in three sizes, 1 kW, 2 kW, and 3 kW.

Even the 3 kW version is pretty small for a whole-house emergency generator. They are primarily intended for camping and RV use, where the feature of being very quiet is worth a lot.

Sure, you can gang them together to increase output, but the cost gets up there pretty quick.

For me, an emergency generator is just that -- something to use in emergencies. It turns a power outage from an "emergency" into an "abnormal condition". If I use one for 200 hours over the next 10 years, that will be very high usage.

I don't need super quiet, and I don't need long life, what I do need is a lot of kW for the initial cost, and an electric starter.

Fuel economy is a red herring for the most common uses. Even if it drinks a full gallon per hour, 200 gallons @ $3.00 each, is $600 over 10 years.

Fuel availability is the big issue. The only reason to get a tri-fuel unit is to use a fuel, natural gas or propane, which is already available at your house for another purpose.

Think a bit about the cost of a tri-fuel generator vs. the cost of a gasoline unit and storing gasoline.

For me, the gasoline was a lower-cost solution, with advantages of being able to use stored fuel somewhere else, and being able to take the generator to a remote part of my property and use it there.

Excellent points Dave. The goal should not to be to operate like you are in the 21st century, it's just to stay in the mid 20th. It is an emergency, expect a little inconvenience. You need water, refrigeration, heat, lights, communications, and a little entertainment. You can have a fan for cooling if needed. You should also be able to help your neighbors to some extent. This is very important for lots of good reasons not the least of which is you don't want a close enemy. You want to have these things as long as the emergency last. Better a week of 1950s and then back to normal, than 24 hours of 21st century and back to the stone ages. You will not like it there, you are not used to it.

/ Generator question #22  
CurlyDave said:
Some of the generators on the market are actually alternators producing DC and then generate the AC power with an inverter. The Honda EU series are this way. Very quiet. The motor RPM's increase with the load.

The problem with the Honda EUs (and imitators) is that they are very expensive for the kW produced, and they only come in three sizes, 1 kW, 2 kW, and 3 kW.

Even the 3 kW version is pretty small for a whole-house emergency generator. They are primarily intended for camping and RV use, where the feature of being very quiet is worth a lot.

EM7000isC1.<2>.

These came out about 8-10 months ago in Canada.

Steve

/ Generator question #23  
CurlyDave said:
My 15Kw (continuous) Generac works the same way.

No load, and I mean none at all, and it will idle. Even a very small load will make it run full out.

I have been considering adding an hour meter to it, but I am afraid even that load will cause it to run full out.

I added one. it has a 10 year lithium battery, and when it senses voltage, it starts counting. The genset idles fine.

this type of hour meter has the display led visible all the time, sort of like a casio watch.

/ Generator question #24  
Buckeye_Jim said:
Some of the generators on the market are actually alternators producing DC and then generate the AC power with an inverter. The Honda EU series are this way. Very quiet. The motor RPM's increase with the load. In other generators (especially bigger ones) the RPM's are linked to the AC frequency (60 hertz in North America). 3600 RPM is 60 hertz. Sometimes they have a gearbox between the engine and generator such that the engine can run at 1200 RPM (less wear and tear on the motor, but losses in the gearbox).

Hope this helps some,

Jim

A small technical correction, alternators produce alternating current (AC) generators produce direct current (DC).

Guy

/ Generator question #25  
Rectification followed by inversion, is quite expensive in losses. I worked over 7 years on one terminal of the HVDC Pacific Intertie between Oregon and Los Angeles. It made considerable sense there as the length of the line approached 1/4 wave length. No sense broadcastin' power so the Russians could construct a similar line and receive the power without generation. Other DC interties were used as frequency converters, and asychronous ties between different areas of the country. However it doesn't seem to me to be cost effective for runnin' your house.

/ Generator question #26  
Now,thats some deep stuff there,,,you mean they can steal power,,out of the air?? thingy

/ Generator question #27  
thingy said:
Now,thats some deep stuff there,,,you mean they can steal power,,out of the air?? thingy

Find a 345kv or higher voltage line (500kv or 765kv) in your area. On a foggy night go out midspan under the line and hold a 8' fluorescent tube straight up. You'll be getting power out of the air.

What slamfire is referring to is that line, if it was AC, would be about the right length to act as a transmitting antenna for 60hz.