Scary experience/neighbors dog

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #1  

JoeR

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HSTC
Let me start with the background. We have some people who just moved onto our street about 6 months ago. About two months ago, my wife went for a walk with our 15 month old baby in the stroller. She was about 1/2 mile from the house passing the new neighbors home. Their dog came flying out of the driveway and out into the street growling and barking ferociously. Not a normal event where a dog just barks. My wife thought for sure it was going to attack and pulled out her concealed weapon. She hesitated and the owner came out and called the dog back. The dog was within 2 feet of my wife and baby. She called animal control, and of course they did nothing. I was not with her when it happened, so I had no idea how bad it was. Come to find out that this dog has been terrorizing the kids when they walk home from school, but none of the neighbors wanted to call animal control because they, "didn't want to be bad neighbors." I told my other neighbors that the dog owner is a bad neighbor. So, the neighbors just drive their kids to the bus stop to avoid the dog.

A couple of weeks ago, we decide to go for a walk. I wanted to get some exercise. We live on a cul-de-sac, so the only way to walk any distance is to go by the house with the violent dog. For some reason I decide to carry my M1911 .45. I like to shoot pistol competitions, and this is my competition weapon, so I am very familiar with it. My wife hasn't been on a walk in months, and we load up the baby and go for a nice morning walk. As we are walking past the house with the vicous dog, I look and to my amazement it was charging across the property, and headed right for us! This dog was fast!!! It then jumped through the 3 board fence and headed for me. I moved my shirt to uncover my weapon thinking it was coming at me. At this point I moved ahead of my wife to draw the dog away from my wife and baby. As this is happening the dog turns and heads straight for my wife and baby in the stroller!!!!! My wife jumps in front of the of the baby with her back to the dog. That dog headed right for them!!!! I pulled my .45 and fired one shot hitting the dog behind the ear as it was about the leap onto my wife. That .230gr HP hit the dog and sent it sideways 10 feet. To my amazement, the dog got up and limped to the house! The owner comes out and the only thing she says, "The dog was tied up." I yelled back asking why was it in the street! We called 911. The police came took a report, and animal control was called too. I asked if they were going to do anything about this, and they said they couldn't do anything until it bit someone! This is ridiculous! No the dog was not a pitbull, it was some mix breed mutt that is just plain vicious! After I got home, my wife asked why I didn't double tap like I do in pistol competitions. I told her that paper targets don't move, and after the first shot, I lost my sight picture since the dog was blown back 10 feet. This whole event scared me to the core! There is nothing like seeing your wife and baby about to be harmed. I was shook up for a couple of days after this. I really didn't like having to shoot that dog, but I saw no other option.

I really dislike bad dog owners! Too bad the dog had to pay for stupid owners. Animal control did agree the dog was vicious, but there was nothing they could do. Animal control told me the dog lives in a cage in the garage. Why have a dog if you have to cage it? Why have a dog that goes after women and babies walking in the street?

Joe

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #2  
Good shot !!
It sounds like you took out the trash;)
And did everyone in your neighborhood a favor.
I hope theres no fallout from the bad neighbor.
It's good that your wife is behind you on this, I would be upset too.
Thats to close to home for this to happen
.45 and walked away??:confused:

I keep flying ashtrays in mine

Ernie

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #3  
Man, that's more excitement than I care for on a walk with the family.
Glad your family is OK, maybe you'll luck out and he'll move away.

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #4  
Glad everyone is OK, it can be a frightening experience, I've had my share over the years, I usually stop and pick up a handful of rocks if I see one coming. A few years back there was a German shepard that did the same thing to me as I walked my dog. On three or four occasions it came charging across the road at me, last time it forgot to look both ways and took a direct hit from a car, never seen it after that. Today, I took my BH down the road about a 1/2 mile to bury a stray that was hit a couple of weeks ago, couldn't find the owner so I put him in a grave beside the highway. He was preserved as its been below freezing for the last couple of weeks.

Steve

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #5  
JoeR said:
I pulled my .45 and fired one shot hitting the dog behind the ear as it was about the leap onto my wife. That .230gr HP hit the dog and sent it sideways 10 feet. To my amazement, the dog got up and limped to the house!

I think the dog got the message loud and clear. How bad (or good) was the wound? Require any surgery? My guess is that it will not bother you again :D .

Can you file a restraining order against a dog? Be glad you live in a State that allows CCW. In Wisconsin you would have been mauled.

Wish you had a picture of the wound.
Bob

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #6  
Joe, this is one unbelievable story. What are we coming to when a person really needs a gun to protect his family while walking in the neighborhood. It is a real good thing that you were ready.

Sadly it happens. A lady I know lives in a very nice neighborhood on the other side of town. One of her neighbors had 2 bad dogs which were biting people. One girl even needed surgery. The local agencies couldn't do a thing. Nothing happened till some someone found out there is a State dog control officer. He came down interviewed everyone and took the whole mess to court. The Judge lowered the boom. But it took more than a year of people getting hurt. What the heck were the dog owners thinking?

Chris

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #7  
JoeR said:
The police came took a report, and animal control was called too. I asked if they were going to do anything about this, and they said they couldn't do anything until it bit someone! This is ridiculous!

Joe

I think that is ridiculous. Your suppose to let that viscious dog bite or hurt someone first. What about the rules that most municipalities have of having dogs on leashes?

Hope everything works out ok for you. I am seriously thinking of getting my permit for a gun. Stories like this make me tip the teeter totter to doing it.

murph

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #8  
Well considering there was a firearm discharge on a public road without a fine/citation issued, I would guess that the area was too rural to have a leash law. With things the way they are now days and municipal governments being found liable in court for NOT taking action, I am surprised that no action was taken with this potentially dangerous animal situation.

Congratulations, any hit on a moveing target, particularly in a stress-fire situation, is a good one. I know you probably shoot because you like to, but it would appear that the practice payed off.

Did the round go thru/impact the street or is it still in the dog?

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #9  
Buy a large baby doll. Put it in the stroller and go for a lot of walks. Finish the job. ;)

/ Scary experience/neighbors dog #10  
Great shot Joe and way to keep a cool head. It's just unbelievable that a dog has to bite someone before they can do anything about it. That shows you how screwed up up some laws are. I'm sure glad to hear you and your family are OK and that you were carrying.