Pruning the Olive trees

/ Pruning the Olive trees #21  
Rox,

I have a Stihl hardhat with a face shield and hearing protection. I wear it everytime I use the saw, brushcutter, or blower. When using the DR Mower wear ear and eye protection. On the tractor I use hearing and some times eye protection depending on what I'm doing.
I would wonder why the chipper jams. That should not happen something is not right.

I have a Dewalt cordless 18v recip saw. I had to drive all over the place to get one. After using it I know why. Its really not worth the money. All of my Dewalt batteries have died. Now some of them had to be a good 10 years old but what one of them MELTED in my charger one day. I was lucky I was home and smelled it smoking. Given a few more minutes I think it would have been on fire. That was the last of my three batteries. These things cost something like $75 a piece to maybe $50 if I buy a pair of them. I have been waiting for a sale and have not seen one yet. :eek:

I have argued with myself over buying the batteries due to the price but I don't have easy access to power in some places so the batteries are needed. I'm just too cheap to get them right now.

Anyhoo, be careful with the cordless recip saws.

For you hurts, try ice packs on the sore areas. Sounds like your muscles are hurting from looking up and holding that saw. Ice Ice Baby. :D <That is a line from a song> :D

Your pruning stories are very interesting to me. I thinking about planting an acre of apple trees and they require pruning. :eek::D

Later,
Dan

/ Pruning the Olive trees
Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions, I apprecite them all.
I am feeling better tonight. Last night when i went to bed it hurt to turn over. All night long I was saying, "Oou, oou." This morning it was very hard to go to work, i was still really sore, but now tonight I feel jsut tired and not so sore, so that is good.

My husband got 18 trees done today, and they were all ahrd trees. I got 9 done. I didn't even start until noon. Tomorrow is another day....

/ Pruning the Olive trees #23  
Rox:

I got tired just looking at the piles of trimmings!:D

/ Pruning the Olive trees #24  
Rox, I don't know whether you need hearing protection or not; don't know whether loud noises are actually what causes hearing loss or not . . . but . . . I never used hearing protection and I've been wearing hearing aids now for almost 14 years. I'm on my third set, and my hearing continues to deteriorate. I'd say it's about 70% gone now.:(

/ Pruning the Olive trees #25  
Rox, that is amazing. I read where your husband had cooked a hog, and you were talking about how good it was (from my trapped hogs post). Do you have wild hogs there, and do they eat the olives from your trees (the ones that fall to the ground)? Sounds like you all are really enjoying living over there, even though it is a lot of work. Do be careful, and keep the posts (and pics) coming.

/ Pruning the Olive trees #26  
Hey ROX:

do ya have any of that good oil left? I still want to get some from ya someday IF I can ever afford the shipping and oil cost! :) :D doing a bit of marinading right now with some pretty good oil and still have full un-opened bottle to use up before I need more... the salad I got and steak is waiting as is the spinach and baked taters :D yummy... (coating of rock salt, butter and olive oil on the taters makes em taste pretty darn good, makes skin crunchy way I like to do them) the olive oil with some seasonings also is good on the salad & with other sides... , Ok I'm getting hungry so I got to go start cooking ;)

MarkM

/ Pruning the Olive trees #28  
Your a hardworking woman rox,,,and thats the way I like them,,just think,,them rich woman are paying for the same exercise that you are getting for free,,,chin up,,,drive on,,soon it'll be break season,,,,right???? This time of the year,,I gotta invent jobs,,,you gotta have an off season too,right??? if not,,we gotta come up for one for you,,,thats the way it works,,,,gotta have an off season,,,thingy

/ Pruning the Olive trees #29  
SPIKER said:
Hey ROX:

do ya have any of that good oil left?

MarkM

The oil is very good. It is available in Milwaukee, perhaps they could ship.

/ Pruning the Olive trees #30  
you might invest in a quality pruning saw. for small 1-2" lims you can cut them just as fast as a chain saw with fraction of the weight, no noise, maintance etc.

i got a new Zubat for xmas it rocks!

Curved Saws