Early start to the sugar season?

/ Early start to the sugar season? #1  

psuedofarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK55 Cab, 3 NHs (from 40-90HP)
I heard from a few folks (in s/w New Hampshire) that they're already collecting sap - anyone else noticing an early start to the sugaring season?

Another by-product of this wacky winter!

pf

/ Early start to the sugar season? #2  
If that's the case, it could be a very long season of boiling sugar. Do you think I should bother getting my snowmobile started?

/ Early start to the sugar season?
I picked a great year to get a sled.. I'm also seeing LOTS of them along the side of the road with For Sale signs!

I'm cautiously optimistic that the madness will end soon - I'd like to think the machine I just purchased actually works.

pf

/ Early start to the sugar season? #4  
I've heard of a couple of sugarmakers tapping now and making syrup. Around here everyone is still in the early stages. Some of the bigger producers are checking lines etc. These guys are usually the ones who get the Feb. runs because most of there lines are up and ready for March.
Now us bucket folks with no lines and no vacum pumps usually wait for the 1st of March. Hopefully we get some snow and cold weather shortly. People say we only need 3 weeks of freezing weather to get the trees ready to go.
Here' hoping!!!!!!

/ Early start to the sugar season? #5  
I was thinking this may be a year (shudder) without maple syrup here in SE NH. WE have had no appreciable cold spell yet. Yesterday and today were near freezing but that is about it for cold. The pond out front has not even had skim ice yet.

Me and my 5 sugar maples may sit this year out.

Phil

/ Early start to the sugar season? #6  
psuedofarmer said:
I picked a great year to get a sled.. I'm also seeing LOTS of them along the side of the road with For Sale signs!

pf

Mornin pf,
Yep, I cant remember when I have seen that many sleds along the roadside for sale :confused:

You just gotta believe ;) :)