Satellite Elevation

/ Satellite Elevation #11  
One thing the installer told me when he was hooking up my Dish Networks.
It's really good to get all the rooms installed the first time. Around here they were and still are offering free installation for up to 4 rooms. I got two and wired a third. If they come back to install more it can be like $300 or more.

/ Satellite Elevation #12  
if it fails, they will just send you another one

Yep, my first one was only 6 months old when it failed and on 3/21/06, they sent me a "free" one, but of course they charged $14.95 shipping and handling.:mad:

/ Satellite Elevation #13  
This has nothing to do with your elevation but you should get a kick out of it.

The Directv guy shows up for instalation and says all we need is a clear view of the Southern sky. He pulls his compass out of his pocket and walks to the North side of the house and begins to set up. I tell him, no, this is North. We argue for a while till I go in and get my compass and show him. He stands there confused for a minute, then reaches into his pocket, same pocket his compass was in, and pulls out his magnetic bit driver for his screwgun. Duh

/ Satellite Elevation
MikePA said:
The Dish Network elevations are 34, 32 or 36 depending upon the dish you have. AZ is 216, 222, 211.

The service was fine until the two trees I aimed between grew up and out, blocking the signal. Wife didn't want me cutting the trees down or clearing branches to allow the signal to pass through (go figure :)). By this time, the local cable company offered HD and a discount for also having their cable internet service, so I switched back to cable and switched from DSL.

Thanks for confirming what the URL I found told me, I always like some confirmation on what I find webwise.

Since the spouse wants this I don't think I'll have too much trouble with minor trimming. Where we are located I have doubts we will get cable in any reasonable time.

/ Satellite Elevation
450EXC said:
This has nothing to do with your elevation but you should get a kick out of it.

The Directv guy shows up for instalation and says all we need is a clear view of the Southern sky. He pulls his compass out of his pocket and walks to the North side of the house and begins to set up. I tell him, no, this is North. We argue for a while till I go in and get my compass and show him. He stands there confused for a minute, then reaches into his pocket, same pocket his compass was in, and pulls out his magnetic bit driver for his screwgun. Duh

That is exactly the reason I want to do homework before we commit. If it can't be mounted on the house it will probably need to be about 100 yards south. On the house is OK as the south side is the back of the house.

/ Satellite Elevation #16  
midlf said:
That is exactly the reason I want to do homework before we commit. If it can't be mounted on the house it will probably need to be about 100 yards south. On the house is OK as the south side is the back of the house.

When I had satellite internet installed (same orbit for the satellites) they wanted me to insatll a vertical post, 2 3/8" -- set in concrete, for them to put the dish on.

They gave me elevation and azimuth and I picked a spot with a clear view through the trees. The installer came out and aimed the dish in a significantly different direction.

It turns out the company gave me an azimuth based on magnetic north, and I had used true north. I had difficulty believing that they were this primitive.

Anyway, check carefully which azimuth they are quoting before making any decisions.

/ Satellite Elevation
CurlyDave said:
When I had satellite internet installed (same orbit for the satellites) they wanted me to insatll a vertical post, 2 3/8" -- set in concrete, for them to put the dish on.

They gave me elevation and azimuth and I picked a spot with a clear view through the trees. The installer came out and aimed the dish in a significantly different direction.

It turns out the company gave me an azimuth based on magnetic north, and I had used true north. I had difficulty believing that they were this primitive.

Anyway, check carefully which azimuth they are quoting before making any decisions.

CurlyDave - thanks for that info. The program said it is corrected for magnetic declination and was the compass reading, not degrees from true north.