Let neighbor use my brand new road

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #11  
If you do give her the combination, make sure to change it every few months. That way if she gives it it to a bunch of people, they can only use it for a limited period of time and not on a year round basis. Is there hunting in your area? You don't need 20 hunters with the combination that you never met.

This is well worth a lawyers advice. Tell her that SHE has to pay the $150 lawyer fee to have a proper document drawn up. If she agrees, then I say go ahead and do it with the lawyers advice. If she balks at a one time $150 fee to use a better road year round, then that should tell you something about her true character.

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #12  
I'd offer to fix her road up for a fee if it's feasable. I don't think I'd let my neighbor use my road. They knew what they were getting into before they bought the land. Let them figure out a better way to access their property. It's not your problem. Be honest with them and whatever....You don't owe them anything, and may end up paying them in the long run for someone getting hurt or ruining your road. If it was my neighbor they'd lose. Call me what you may..

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #13  
Do NOT do it. Easements and right-of-ways can be used against you.
Do NOT do it.

-Mike Z.

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #14  
is she young and good looking?

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #15  
For what it's worth I'm in full agreement with riptides. This can only bring trouble - what if she has some kind of accident while driving down the road you agreed to maintain?

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #16  
I would not allow anyone else to use my drive. But if you do, DO NOT charge $1 a year rent. When you charge rent, you incur a higher degree of liability that could cost you a fortune in the event of any type of accident. Please listen to advice of others and get her to pay for the lawyer's fee and sign nothing without your lawyer's approval. It is really a shame that people can't even be good neighbors anymore in our litigatious society. When a friend asked for permission to hunt on my land in Arkansas once, I told him "I won't give you permission, but I won't press charges against you if you get caught". A lawyer told me if I did it that way I would avoid liability by that states laws.

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #17  
Tom,
"A good deed never goes unpunished"
Then there's Murphy's law...
Especially if she IS good looking, Liana will kill you!:)
(randy what were you thinking?):rolleyes:

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #18  
Anyone have an example of this type of agreement? I really don't want to spend the money to hire a lawyer to write the agreement.

I completely understand your reluctance to pay a lawyer, however, I'm sure that a minor investment now ($200) will be less expensive than a battle on whether or not an easement exists. I personally know 2 people who've had this problem. One spent $25,000 on attorneys fees, fences, and then had a heart attack. The second wound up in a dispute after the original owner sold the land to a developer. The developer claimed an easement existed and essentially badgered people who bordered the property to submit to his demands or pay $$ in court. My friend opted to invest...he's in it $5,000 and has a cease and desist order on the developer. I'd take care of any liability (known or unknown to you) up front with the helpful advice of a good lawyer.

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road #19  
Hello Stumpfield,

I am a licensed real estate agent licensed to practice in California. Please take everything seriously that the folks here have advised for you. While your neighbor can be very nice and sweet, allowing use of the property can only open a pandora's box for the future. Numerous issues are involved not the least of which are opening the door for a future prescriptive easement as well as liability concerns. A written agreement granting permission might protect you from future easement claims, or it might not. What shall happen 20 years from now when your memory fades a bit, you are unable to recall or find this document and/or heaven forbid the unexpected happens to you? The only thing for certain is that the use has been ongoing and open. Furthermore, accomodating traffic ensures that you now have agreed to take on the liability of additional traffic on your property. So someone she knows (or will know in the future) begins to utilize the drive for trucks, tractor, who knows what else, will you put a stop to their access after say 5 years? Too many factors, variables and unknowns for the future can only lead to trouble. Besides, I guarantee that as difficult as it may be to say no, or to put a stop to it now, it will be infinitely more difficult 5 years from now when you have a change of heart.

Do the wise thing and DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION. If you have already given permission, REVOKE it immediately. Heck, give an excuse and say that your attorney friend, or brother in law, or someone close to you, TOLD you to put a stop to it. In any event, the following link might be valuable for you to read up on involving adverse possession. While adverse possession is much more difficult (someone taking ownership of all, or a part of anothers property) through open use, an easement by prescription claim is quite common. Once it is in place, it is almost impossible to revoke and requires you to maintain all of the costs and burdens of ownership but yet continue to provide access for another's benefit. Heck, your future neighbor might not look like Christie Brinkley but rather look like Oscar Madison. Doesn't matter, he has access. And of course, it limits yours, and your buyers options and ability to freely develop and use your property as you see fit. Know also that you reside in one of, if not the most liberal states in the nation with courts to match. Therefore, should you find yourself defending a future claim of ownership or possession or bodily injury or property damage, know now that the outcome is far from a certainty given our courts history and record. The one certainty that you can derive is that it will be a costly legal battle.

Just my 2 cents.
Disclaimer (standard stuff to protect my butt): I may be right, but then again I may be wrong. This is not legal advice, or even Real Estate advice. Everyones situation is unique and sound advice can only be obtained when all facts and factors are considered. Certainly, you are warned not to rely on this users forum post (or any post responding to a one paragraph question by someone not 100% familiar with your situation) to manage your legal affairs. You should seek the advice of a Real Estate attorney to discuss your situation fully and in depth PRIOR to making any decision, without which you should proceed at your own risk.

Link below (even includes sample consent form, as requested):
Trespass, Adverse Possession & Easements

/ Let neighbor use my brand new road
tallyho8 said:
When a friend asked for permission to hunt on my land in Arkansas once, I told him "I won't give you permission, but I won't press charges against you if you get caught". A lawyer told me if I did it that way I would avoid liability by that states laws.

I think I like this solution. I'm going to tell her she can't use my road. If she ever get caught for trespassing, I won't press charges either.