Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #21  
You have to call around to the places that sell propane. And tanks arent cheap, and it leaves all the maintenance (valves and guage) on you if they break.

I have a good place to lease from. Basically it is like owning a tank. At this place, there is NO annual lease fee, NO minimum per year, or anything. They come out and set the tank, and the ONLY thing that makes it a lease is you have to buy fuel from them. Which is NOT any higher than they sell to owners of tanks. So NO markup for the lease. AND, they are usually always the cheapest on propane of anywhere around.

SO...I have never seen any anvantage to spending $$$$ just to own a tank in my situation. Shop around and you may have a good place near you too.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #22  
It cost me $2200 last year for a complete install of my 500 tank. We have found that the prices are always lower when you own the tank, just keep the paperwork of ownership for future reference.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #23  
Every response I have seen here says everyone has bought their tanks, but it never says where they are buying the tanks from. We need to move quickly. Our tank is from 1974. The propane company refuses to ever fill it again unless we buy one of theirs and we are almost out. HELP!

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #24  
Every response I have seen here says everyone has bought their tanks, but it never says where they are buying the tanks from. We need to move quickly. Our tank is from 1974. The propane company refuses to ever fill it again unless we buy one of theirs and we are almost out. HELP!

Welcome, post a new thread in rural living forum.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #25  

Welcome to TBN.

I bought mine from a local propane supplier, they delivered, buried and hooked it up. My only contract obligation was to buy 1000 gallons after they installed it. Look in the hhone book, if you still have one :)

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #26  
We just had a 500 gallon tank installed and we rented it becuase none of the lines were ran. Needed the tank for 2 units and the pool. So we needed a lot of things setup and all the lines ran which is about 1000 feet of lines. With renting the tank, it was a totally free install plus an extra 15 cents per gallon. With buying, we would have saved money on propane. It was a no brainier for me, however in your situation you only need the tank installed so I don't know

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #27  
In central Ky, Propane prices vary as much as $2 per gallon, so, owning your own tank is the best way to go. Just keep proof of ownership paperwork handy. Ken Sweet

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #28  
In central Ky, Propane prices vary as much as $2 per gallon, so, owning your own tank is the best way to go. Just keep proof of ownership paperwork handy. Ken Sweet

Same here Ken, That is why I bought mine...

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #29  
I bought my 250 gal tank. The company I was renting from was purchased by another and then they raised the prices.

I shopped around for the tank and fuel but there were still problems.

I looked into a private party purchase, Craiglist. The tank had a label form the company the seller was employed at but he was on leave. I called the company to see if it was their property. Turn’s out it was privately owned by a home that was in foreclosure. So I think it was stolen from that home. The seller for the tank never went back to work for that propane company and never call me back after that.

I purchased a tank from a local company. I didn't get a written quote for the price of the tank and install. After install the bill was $300 higher than I thought was quoted. I had to talk with the propane company owner. He honored the lower price. Always get it in writing.

I had it filled up by the installing company the first time. The second time when went to buy gas more issues:

One company sent me paper work to fill out before they would fill the tank. Reading the paper work it was basically agreement only to buy propone from that company, with exit penalties if I didn't honor the contact. Just like some mobile phone and cable companies, but for propane.

A few local companies in my area want to charge for a tank test before they will fill the tank, even when the tank was less than a year old.

So I am down to two to three local companies that I call for quote before filling the tank. And often I just go to the one I use most often.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #30  
Sometimes a company won't deliver unless it is their regulator and tanks. Ask if they will. Propane companies can be pretty horrendous, and pretty good. Just depends. Tank test is standard, along with a pressure test on the lines. I see it as safety, and an opportunity to get inside and sell you something!