Questions for you dog lovers?

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #1  

hillslider

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 JD X750 and X350
Well.....I finally went ahead and did it. We have been dogless for years but not no more. Me and the kids stopped by the local shelter and found the sweetest German Shorthair. She is about 4-5yrs old and very well behaved.

But here are my questions.....How do you train an older dog the boundries of the yard? So fay when I take her out she is on a leash...I let her do her business...play in the snow and walk around. But since she was a stray and really does not know her name I am worried she will bolt if I take her off the leash.

So please give me some pointers.

Thanks

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #2  
Keep her on the leash untill she knows where she is. Work on getting her to respond to a name. If there are any dog training clinics close by they are worth the effort even for an older dog. They will teach the correct techniques for basic commands the come command is critical but easy to teach to most dogs.

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #3  
feed her and treat her with lots of love....we had a stray we did that with...she just showed up one day and never left....it is amazing the gratitude in her eyes..she is a great watchdog.

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #4  
German Shorthair pointers (GSP) aren't known for their willingness to stay at home unless you call a 10 mile radius, "home."

The only way I know of the get the sporting breeds to stay at home without a good, tall fence, is to use a electrical burried fence. If you go this route, be sure to follow the directions to the letter. These fences require a good deal of training or they will not work!

Get your dog chipped, because at some point, she will wonder off and it would be good to get her back if she does and someone finds her before she wonders back. They are pretty good at finding their way back home if that's where they left from. They're less good at it if the wonder off from somewhere you've gotten to be car.

There are a lot of hunting dogs available through shelters specifically because they wonder off looking for birds and get lost.

I'm glad you got your dog at a shelter. I'm sure the dog is too. Does she have a name?
Cliff

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #5  
Jimbrown said:
If there are any dog training clinics close by they are worth the effort even for an older dog. They will teach the correct techniques for basic commands

most dog training classes (for older dogs) will want you to own the dog for a couple of months before offical training classes. This way you and the dog have had time to bond and for the dog to start to understand it needs to listen to you.

otherwise it doessnt recoginze you as pack leader and the classes can be very fustrationg for both the trainer and trainie.....

i have well trained labs but have still opted for an underground wire fence system for ours on our ~5 acers

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #6  
hillslider said:
... the sweetest German Shorthair. She is about 4-5yrs old and very well behaved.

Did you do any research on the breed? They are very, very high strung and full of energy. They can, and just about have to, run all day long. They need allot of excersize to be happy.

How big is the yard? How old are the kids? How much time do you have a day to wear her out?

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #7  
One of my neighbors at the farm received a german shorthair that was his son's dog, the son passed away so the dog means a lot to him.

However, he has spent more time looking for that dog and his dog as it seems that every time they are out of the kennel and they turn their backs the dogs are gone. One time I remember in particular, they found them on the other side of the Missouri River. When they found them they had a raccoon treed.

I do not think that you will be able to train a german shorthair to yard boundaries.

/ Questions for you dog lovers? #8  
Several years ago, we adopted a three year old Blue Tick Coonhound from the Oakland SPCA. He was very grateful for a second life. I had several friends from the south who told me I would never be able to train him, that they are a stubborn independent breed.

They were half right. Clyde and I started obedience classes about a week after we got him. My main concern was not wanting to have a dog his size (about 100lbs., big for breed) that was not under my control. He actually took to training quite admirably. We were the best in the class. Those same friends from the south were always amazed, even long after the classes were over, that he was so good off leash.

But he was a social animal. He liked to get out and see the world, or at least a small part of it. While we were in Oakland, he loved to go down to the local shopping area about once every month or two. Always the same route, down and back. Folks would call me. "Hey, Clyde's visiting." I'd head down and he'd be headed back. I'd call him and he'd come running and jump in the truck.

Later, when we moved to a suburban bedroom community further south, his favorite place to visit now and then was an elementary school about a block away. If I noticed he was gone, I'd just walk down and call him and he'd come wagging his tail.

So I never broke him of wandering off to go visiting, my friends were right in that. I hope you have better luck. All that said, Clyde was a wonderful dog and an excellent companion. I miss him still. I would encourage you to commence obedience training soon if such is available in your area.

Mike

/ Questions for you dog lovers?
Well thanks for the tips. To answer some questions her name is Holly. So far she has been super sweet and minds very well. Took her outside just a while ago and she went and then headed right for the door to get back inside. She also has been doing really well with the kids.....I have 3 with the oldest at 5 middle at 3 and the youngest 15 months. I did some reading about the breed and she will be hard to figure. But she was a stray and I sure would hate to loose the first dog the kids will remember. But so far she is one mellow sweety. Time will tell. Attatched a pic for all of you.

Attachments

• 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 202
   / Questions for you dog lovers? #10  
What a beautiful dog. She looks very sweet. Did you get her because she matches the furniture and the carpet? :)

Cliff