heat pumps

/ heat pumps #41  
Some buy steam from utility companies.

/ heat pumps #42  
cp1969 said:
Some buy steam from utility companies.

Yep, in the city they sure do.

/ heat pumps #43  
Hey cp1969, It does get cold in Louisiana (at least it seems cold too me).

My family has been in La. for 200 years, so maybe our blood has thinned???

/ heat pumps #44  
I guess that happens. Ya get plumb acclimated to where ya live. I know when we were building our house, the roof went on in mid-March (about 40 degrees) and the non-English speaking roofers were all wearing Parkas. We locals had on, at the most, a hooded sweatshirt.

/ heat pumps #45  
kenmac said:
I have a friend that just bought a house (I didn't know it till afterwards) He calls me complaining that his heat in his new house doesn't feel as warm as what he had in his old house. I questioned him about the heat in his new house & he told me that he has gas hydro heat. His old house had a gas F.A.F . I told him that hydro heat is somewhat like a heat pump in that it's not the same heat as A F.A.F. Now he wants me to change out his hydro. system foe a gas F.A.F.He says his isn't warm & he hasn't had a hot bath since he moved in

If that hydronic system is designed right and working properly it should be able to drive him out of the house. For the cost of converting to forced air I would first throughly investigate the hydronic system to see if it is working properly, then determine corrective cost before any changes.

The SO, before this house, had never lived in a house with forced air heat. According to her the forced air system is too drafty, too much of a temperature swing and way way too noisy. (It is a normally operating system as far as I can tell.) She wanted me to convert to hydronic radiant floor heat. That's not gonna happen, I'll do some research on quiet HVAC to replace the 24 year old existing unit.

/ heat pumps #46  
midlf said:
If that hydronic system is designed right and working properly it should be able to drive him out of the house. For the cost of converting to forced air I would first throughly investigate the hydronic system to see if it is working properly, then determine corrective cost before any changes.

The SO, before this house, had never lived in a house with forced air heat. According to her the forced air system is too drafty, too much of a temperature swing and way way too noisy. (It is a normally operating system as far as I can tell.) She wanted me to convert to hydronic radiant floor heat. That's not gonna happen, I'll do some research on quiet HVAC to replace the 24 year old existing unit.

I installed a hydro heat system in my house a few years ago( b-4 nat gas prices went through the roof) & I didn't like mine. Most water heaters that were used were of the tank type & only 70-75% efficient.I installed a 90+% gas F.A.F..Now the ms is happy & so, I'am happy:D I haven't tried this system with the tankless w.h. as some are using now.

/ heat pumps #47  
kenmac said:
I installed a hydro heat system in my house a few years ago( b-4 nat gas prices went through the roof) & I didn't like mine. Most water heaters that were used were of the tank type & only 70-75% efficient.I installed a 90+% gas F.A.F..Now the ms is happy & so, I'am happy:D I haven't tried this system with the tankless w.h. as some are using now.

Water heaters are not the best way to go. In WI water heaters are not allowed to be used for hydronic heat unless specifically listed for that use by the mfr. Very few are so listed. Using a hydronic "boiler" is the best way. reasonably high efficiencies can be obtained. For the best results an outside air temp sensing aquastat should be used. If desired this system can, with use of a domestic hot water coil in the boiler, provide hot water.

/ heat pumps #48  
midlf said:
Water heaters are not the best way to go. In WI water heaters are not allowed to be used for hydronic heat unless specifically listed for that use by the mfr. Very few are so listed. Using a hydronic "boiler" is the best way. reasonably high efficiencies can be obtained. For the best results an outside air temp sensing aquastat should be used. If desired this system can, with use of a domestic hot water coil in the boiler, provide hot water.

There was a co. that sold these units all over the place. It was called apollo heat system