Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk?

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #1  

5030tinkerer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3830/GL5030
The caulk around my enamel-painted cast iron kitchen sink was shot, so I thought I would re-caulk it. I had never used a 100% silicone caulk before and am slightly embarrassed to admit that I wasn't counting on just how sticky that stuff is and now have made a huge mess - the water clean-up latex-based stuff got me spoiled. Now, prior to re-caulking with a latex/silicone caulk blend, I have a need to remove the messed up silicone caulking.

I got the vast majority off of the counter, but the stuff on the enameled sink just won't budge. Does anyone have any ideas for getting this stuff off without damaging the painted finish of the sink? I've spent somewhere close to two hours so far and have made little headway. I keep thinking that there has to be an attachment I can put on a dremel or drill or something that will power it right off...

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #2  
I've had good luck removing cured silicone caulk using vinegar. I got the idea based on the smell of the caulk as you are applying it. Elbow grease is also helpful!

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #3  
Use a razor blade/scraper with a razor blade, keep a real shallow angle and you will not gouge the sink. That will get the big stuff off, then hopefully somebody has a good idea for the remaining portions.

good luck

steve

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk?
I've been using the scraper blade at a very slight angle with some success, though it tends to leave black lines on the otherwise white enameled sink. The process is made substantially more difficult since the caulked edge is on a rounded surface - the blade only removes the caulk precisely where the blade contacts the sink.

I plan on trying out the vinegar idea next.

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #5  
I can't help with the removal...but here is how I apply the silicone caulk to highly visible joints:
1. Clean joint area well.
2. line both sides of the joint with blue painters tape, this defines the caulk bead size and keeps the extra from smearing everywhere.
3. Apply the caulk.
4.Smooth the caulk with your finger as you normally would.
5. Peel the tape off, being careful not to drag the tape across the bead
6. After the tape is removed there will be a slight ridge on both sides of the joint from the tape, simply run your finger lightly over the joint again carefully and lightly to smooth the ridge.

This method takes more time, but the results are well worth the aggravation.

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #6  
Might try WD-40.

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #7  
   / Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #8  
If you can stand the smell in your house, gasoline will remove silicone.

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #9  
I've always just rubbed it with my finger. If I rub it back and forth, it comes apart. It takes awhile, but it works.

I like the WD-40 idea. I haven't tried it on silicone, but I have used it on glues that hold on those stickers on new windows. It works great there.

Eddie

/ Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk? #10  
Almost all petroleum based fluids attack cured silicone rubber. WD 40 should be good, gasoline, kerosene, diesel,etc. Regular oil will work too with patience. It weakens the bond and agitation of the cured rubber breaks it free. None of them dissolve the silicone per se, but just gel it up and weaken the bond with varying rapidity.

For smoothing touch up when applying I think one of the best things is saliva on your finger - much better than water due to its inherent slickness, and since it is water based it is compatible with the condensation cure of the RTV rubbers. Delay for a few~5 minutes before smoothing. Keep finger wet. If any rubber transfers to your finger clean off completely and rewet.
Larry