Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL3830/GL5030

Default Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk?

The caulk around my enamel-painted cast iron kitchen sink was shot, so I thought I would re-caulk it. I had never used a 100% silicone caulk before and am slightly embarrassed to admit that I wasn't counting on just how sticky that stuff is and now have made a huge mess - the water clean-up latex-based stuff got me spoiled. Now, prior to re-caulking with a latex/silicone caulk blend, I have a need to remove the messed up silicone caulking.

I got the vast majority off of the counter, but the stuff on the enameled sink just won't budge. Does anyone have any ideas for getting this stuff off without damaging the painted finish of the sink? I've spent somewhere close to two hours so far and have made little headway. I keep thinking that there has to be an attachment I can put on a dremel or drill or something that will power it right off...

Tractor
    Kubota M6800 JD 5200

Default Re: Tips for removing 100% silicone caulk?

I've had good luck removing cured silicone caulk using vinegar. I got the idea based on the smell of the caulk as you are applying it. Elbow grease is also helpful!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota

Use a razor blade/scraper with a razor blade, keep a real shallow angle and you will not gouge the sink. That will get the big stuff off, then hopefully somebody has a good idea for the remaining portions.

good luck

steve
    Kubota L3430HST with 723 loader and 6'bucket, Greenline 6", 9" & 12" post hole digger, Land Pride 5' Brush hog, toothbar, 72" land Pride box blade, canopy, Kuhn 6' rototiller, 8' landscape rake, post driver, WOODS BH90x with hydraulic thrumb.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL3830/GL5030

I've been using the scraper blade at a very slight angle with some success, though it tends to leave black lines on the otherwise white enameled sink. The process is made substantially more difficult since the caulked edge is on a rounded surface - the blade only removes the caulk precisely where the blade contacts the sink.

I plan on trying out the vinegar idea next.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

I can't help with the removal...but here is how I apply the silicone caulk to highly visible joints:
    1. Clean joint area well.
    2. line both sides of the joint with blue painters tape, this defines the caulk bead size and keeps the extra from smearing everywhere.
    3. Apply the caulk.
    4.Smooth the caulk with your finger as you normally would.
    5. Peel the tape off, being careful not to drag the tape across the bead
    6. After the tape is removed there will be a slight ridge on both sides of the joint from the tape, simply run your finger lightly over the joint again carefully and lightly to smooth the ridge.

This method takes more time, but the results are well worth the aggravation.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford/NH 1320 HST FWD

Might try WD-40.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2615 4WD, Ferriz 1500Z ZTR, Craftsman GT5000

Lots of links on Google:

silicone caulk remover - Google Search

Silicone is a pretty unique substance which is why it is useful for what it does but it is very difficult to remove.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

If you can stand the smell in your house, gasoline will remove silicone.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I've always just rubbed it with my finger. If I rub it back and forth, it comes apart. It takes awhile, but it works.

I like the WD-40 idea. I haven't tried it on silicone, but I have used it on glues that hold on those stickers on new windows. It works great there.

Eddie

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Almost all petroleum based fluids attack cured silicone rubber. WD 40 should be good, gasoline, kerosene, diesel,etc. Regular oil will work too with patience. It weakens the bond and agitation of the cured rubber breaks it free. None of them dissolve the silicone per se, but just gel it up and weaken the bond with varying rapidity.

For smoothing touch up when applying I think one of the best things is saliva on your finger - much better than water due to its inherent slickness, and since it is water based it is compatible with the condensation cure of the RTV rubbers. Delay for a few~5 minutes before smoothing. Keep finger wet. If any rubber transfers to your finger clean off completely and rewet.
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast