Septic System Question

/ Septic System Question #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
We are now living on a septic system and I am trying to be careful about what we put down the drains.. A friend (whos husband is a Master Plumber) told me that anti-bacterial soap is really, really bad for the system..

It seems like most, if not almost all, soaps are anti-bacterial these days.. Would these soaps cause problems in the breakdown of the solids?

Any comments?

/ Septic System Question #2  
In my experience, I would think it only a problem if really used to excess. Do you do laundry with the waste water being used in the washer going into your system? The chlorine in the laundry detergent and the bleach used to "brighten your whites" will probably do more harm than the ammount of antibacterial soap that makes it down the drain. Remember the system gets fresh biomass and bacteria every time you flush. My current septic has been in for over 5 years with 3-4 people in the house. I sounded the buildup layer last year and it still has plenty of room and it is still breaking down nicely. Probably a bigger problem for a septic is too much water flow thru it. This excess flow disturbes the delicate upper and lower layers and transfers material to the outflow pipe before it has a chance to settle. The outflow has a screen mesh filter on it(or should have) to prevent these particles from flowing on into the drainfield and clogging the soil forcing replacement. It is better to clog the filter than the drainfield. This will cause the system to back up. This makes for a perfect episode for "Dirty jobs" pumping out the water of a backed up system and cleaning the outflow filter. If your system were not breaking down properly, I think it likley that more particulate matter would be making it's way to the outflow filter. I would check and make sure you have a filter as it is far better to clean a filter than have to dig up and replace a clogged drainfield. If you start to experience system backups then you have too much flow or the biologic portion of the system is failing, or the tank is full:).

/ Septic System Question #3  
when talking to the septic guy in my area when he was bidding my system, said the single worst thing for septic systems was a washing machine.

especially if you save up all the laundry and do 18 loads sat morning before noon. :cool:

Im considering a seperate grey water system for the washer for this reason.

/ Septic System Question #4  
My washer, showers and sinks in my house go to a gray water pit out in the back field. I also treat my septic system 2 or 3 times a year with a bacteria additive.

/ Septic System Question #5  
The plumber was surely a nice guy. But he's a plumber. Antibacterial soap will not hurt your septic system when used as would be expected in a typical home. You do not need to add any special additives to your system. What has been proven are things like liquid soaps are better than powder and garbage disposals add too much solid matter.

Don't touch my dial.

Oh and I strongly agree with Ronmar that all systems should be equipped with an effluent filter to screen out any junk from heading to your drainfield. I would rather the system back up and pour sewage out into my lawn through the loosened clean out cap (also highly recommended) than to ruin my expensive drainfield with solids.

/ Septic System Question #6  
Should you add anything to the system like rid x or doesn't it help?

/ Septic System Question #7  
The stuff I dump into and flush down my toilet has bacteria strains that deal with the following.

Protein digesting
Starch digesting
Cellulose digesting
Fat, grease digesting
Surfactant digesting
Hydrocarbon digesting
Phenol digesting

Total bacteria count 14 million/gram

I dump in about a quart 2-3 times per year. Last time I had my septic tank pumped it didn't even really have a smell to it and the honey dipper truck operator said I didn't really even need it pumped.

/ Septic System Question #8  
DieselPower said:
The stuff I dump into and flush down my toilet has bacteria strains that deal with the following.

Protein digesting
Starch digesting
Cellulose digesting
Fat, grease digesting
Surfactant digesting
Hydrocarbon digesting
Phenol digesting

Total bacteria count 14 million/gram

I dump in about a quart 2-3 times per year. Last time I had my septic tank pumped it didn't even really have a smell to it and the honey dipper truck operator said I didn't really even need it pumped.

Does this product have a name?

I've been doing the monthly RidX thing, but have a feeling this contributes more to my "warm fuzzy" than the septic.

The system is just over 2 years old & I'm thinking of having it checked/pumped :confused: (?) this summer (I'd rather be pro-active than re-active).

/ Septic System Question
thanks for the feedback everyone.. I wont be switching soaps anytime soon.. LOL

brian

/ Septic System Question #10  
Well, the stuff I'm using isn't exactlly for septic tanks. It's actually a treatment for open manure pits and lagoon's. It's called Bio Remedy and is made by Texas Refinery, yes the oil people. Interesting looking stuff to, it's florescent green!

A local dairy farmer close to me started to use it and it seemed to work great in his lagoon pit so I thought I would start using it in the septic tank. He had to start treating his lagoon pit because of local new (city folk type moving into the "country") people complaining about the smell.